advertisement

B&W DM2 (mk1) Tweeter question..

emresorkun

Hello!

I always liked B&Ws and eventually, I could find one pair DM2. Now I am listening to them with a Peachtree Nova amplifier. Yesterday as I start listening to them I realized there was something missing. The rectangular tweeter got my attention. I googled and learned that the horizontal placing of the rectangular tweeter and the super tweeter belongs to mk1, an earlier version of the DM2. All good, I only read positive things about them..

Then I decided to remove the rectangular tweeter to see which brand it is. Someone planted these Monacor dt-100s. They are made in Germany and I did not see any references to them in DM2 conversations online.

Unfortunately, the labels back are gone so I cannot share the serial numbers.

I am enjoying even with these Monacaor tweeters but I would like to hear the original sound from them.

What can I do? Are Monacor tweeters a good match? I do not think so since I am not really satisfied with what I am hearing.

B&W used a variation of tweeters back then, as far as I learned. And I could not find which model was used for the first builds of DM2s. Maybe someone can help me?

I checked different pages of sellers and tw26 tweeters are recommended for DM2s. But which DM2s? Do you think I can use them for these earlier models of DM2s?

And which modern tweeter model would be the best for my DM2s? ( In case I can't find an original one)-

If you share your experiences and knowledge about this topic I would be more than happy! I waited long for a nice pair of DM2s and now I want to enjoy them! It even has the original

Best

My DM2s were purchased in 1973 and have the Coles supertweeter so I guess yours were made earlier.
Not sure if this helps, taken from Audiokarma site.
"The soft dome pictured on the DM2s is a Peerless DT10HFC found in Monitor Audio MA1, 4 & 5 mk 1, Mordaunt Short MS 235, smaller IMFs with the magnet label taken off, Celef Minis and several 70s magazine designs.

It was superseded by the bigger KO10DT, familiar to many Americans in ADS speakers."

My DM2s were purchased in 1973 and have the Coles supertweeter so I guess yours were made earlier.
Not sure if this helps, taken from Audiokarma site.
"The soft dome pictured on the DM2s is a Peerless DT10HFC found in Monitor Audio MA1, 4 & 5 mk 1, Mordaunt Short MS 235, smaller IMFs with the magnet label taken off, Celef Minis and several 70s magazine designs.

It was superseded by the bigger KO10DT, familiar to many Americans in ADS speakers."
Thank you ver much for this. I read a lot of topics on Audiokarma but obviously I missed this. Checking it now.

Interesting, I’ve never seen your version of the original DM2a with that driver layout although a quick web search shows up two pics identical to yours! I was only aware of the Coles vertical array versions with the port variation in that models life span (the DM2/2 being a completely different beast).

I remember the original tw20 and tw26 tweeters and vaguely the Peerless as well. I guess from an age perspective Peerless may be the closest. Audax also made tweeters of a similar form back in the day but have they all compare I don’t know.
I may have a Peerless tweeter on a box somewhere if I can find it which may refresh my memory.

I guess an email or call to Terry at Falcon may glean some more info for you.

I don’t know which tweeter was the original but I would go with the Peerless rather than the Monacor.
Softer and sweeter to the ears and a good fit with this vintage speaker voicing.
To me, the DM2 mk 1 is one of the best speaker ever made so well worth the effort and investment.

I don’t know which tweeter was the original but I would go with the Peerless rather than the Monacor.
Softer and sweeter to the ears and a good fit with this vintage speaker voicing.
To me, the DM2 mk 1 is one of the best speaker ever made so well worth the effort and investment.

Thank you Gervais. I put an online advertisement in local hifi groups. I hope I can find a matching pair.

They look so nice and I am sure they will sound better with refereshed caps and a new pair of tweeters

advertisement

Back