advertisement

b&w dm14 dull why?

Got a near mint pair dm14 been in sold guys loft for 20 years but they sound dull as dish water. Any ideas? All units are working. Do they need recapping. Or was they shit any way?

Got a near mint pair dm14 been in sold guys loft for 20 years but they sound dull as dish water. Any ideas? All units are working. Do they need recapping. Or was they shit any way?
It's a B&W, probably overblown bass & muddy shut in mids, dull as dishwater will sum up this speaker, maybe the guy should have offered a demo beforehand.

No. But have heard a variety of their speakers sounding excellent over the years...
As I said we all hear different things & have different tastes plus the rest of the system & room add their own to the sound. My room is quite well damped with furnishings so B&W do not suit in my surroundings, all flabby bass, shut in mids & over exposed top.

They are one of the biggest UK speaker companies (have they also been bought out by now?) and renowned in the past for their R + D department. They usually build pretty accurate, balanced speakers IMHO... The 801 monitor was good enough for Abbey Road...

these seem shit some guy came and heard um recons there spot on... defo anit sounds very dull and no detail tride a few amps sounds mince

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/review-bw-dm-14-speakers
Plotting the response to one-third octave bands of pink noise, using a Bruel & Kjaer sound level meter, showed barely +IdB variation from about 200Hz right out to 14KHz, with only a gentle roll-off beyond this.

Is it the rest of your system that's shit?

Coincidence or what. I dragged my old DM10s out yesterday for a play and they sound flippin right on the money.

I'd assume the 14's are miles better than my 10's

gonna ebay them some deaf person will love them haha. not sure if these are ment to be like this

And I bet you'd advertise them as being spot on best sounding speakers you've heard as good as the day they left the factory blah blah blah... Or if you've got a bit of a conscience: 'unable to test but might as well be brand new, unused & been in my air conditioned loft for 20years only removed ever few years to treat driver diaphragms with monkey spunk as heard it keeps them supple'.
So sick of people selling crap on ebay - IF YOU THINK THEY'RE BROKEN ADVERTISE THEM AS SUCH or even better, try repairing them then you'll know for sure and can sell them on honestly...

advertisement

Back