advertisement

B&W 801F

Had a buzz on one of the bass drivers,on certain low frequency's.

My guess is these have been rotated already,and i have put them back to original position. :)

All fine and verified now....

Anything i touch i leave notes inside with dates for the next person...

Always written service date on oil filters when servicing cars...

Are you able to measure the response of the speakers?

perhaps more relavant to the later ported models .....

Unknown to most people outside the factory is that the drivers and crossover components were selected and deployed to give each a very slightly different voicing most appropriate to the use expected. The black ash were the most dry and neutral, since they were expected to be deployed in studios for mastering and mixing; the walnut were very, very slightly warmer, designed for the best overall sound for enjoying music and generally the color most preferred; while the rosewood speakers were selected to have very slightly enhanced midbass. This wasn't so much deliberate as it was one B&W engineer's clever idea as to how to sort the batches of in-tolerance drivers among different colors, done more as an example of the indomitable English sense of humor than anything else.

Reactions: irb
perhaps more relavant to the later ported models .....

I've never listened to the 801 Series 2 or Series 3.
But I owned a pair of 802 Series 3 and they we very different-sounding from the 802 Series 80, 'bright' and 'harsh', possibly because of the change in tweeter dome material (from soft/polyester to hard/metal).
Nasty speakers which I don't recommend, a huge disappointment.

advertisement

Back