advertisement

B&O are at it again...

The best' sound I've ever experienced from a home system was created by the B&O Beolab 90 system. Absolutely stunning. OK, it's very expensive and well beyond what I can afford, but it certainly dispels the notion that B&O is all about style over substance.

You lot really are sad. I wonder what are the real reasons for so much bile. The fact that you can't afford it? Envy, perhaps, that others can?

It's not bile, it's amazement at the cost. £45k is a _serious_ amount of money for a stereo. I quite like the fact they've renovated and reissued it, but it seems mentally expensive.

While the fully restored and reimagined six-disc CD changer from the 1990s lies at its nostalgic heart, the Beosystem 9000c also comprises the company’s 2021-released Beolab 28 active wireless speakers and a Beoremote One control.

I have no idea how this stuff was when it was new, I guess I can do a search. Some B&O speakers can be pretty expensive, but I doubt these ones will be five figures.

It's not bile, it's amazement at the cost. £45k is a _serious_ amount of money for a stereo. I quite like the fact they've renovated and reissued it, but it seems mentally expensive.

While the fully restored and reimagined six-disc CD changer from the 1990s lies at its nostalgic heart, the Beosystem 9000c also comprises the company’s 2021-released Beolab 28 active wireless speakers and a Beoremote One control.

I have no idea how this stuff was when it was new, I guess I can do a search. Some B&O speakers can be pretty expensive, but I doubt these ones will be five figures.
The Beolab 28 speakers are £15,700 on their own, but bear in mind the finish of them for this Beosystem 9000c is new and they have not used aluminium lamellae before, so are likely to be a bit dearer if they are offered on their own.

The Beoremote One remote handset is £400 and the Beoconnect Encore unit that adds streaming functionality is somewhere around £1000 IIRC. So, £17,000 or so before you add in the refurbished Beosound 9000 and its new stand.

The original Beosound 9000 was £3,400 when it was discontinued in 2011.

It's not bile, it's amazement at the cost. £45k is a _serious_ amount of money for a stereo.
You think? If you're amazed by 45k for a complete system, don't look at any reports from the forthcoming Munich show without a defibrillator and oxygen mask to hand.

It's way above my pay grade, and I neither aspire to or currently own any B&O products (fantastic phones back in the day, though), but it doesn't offend or astonish me that it exists.

Inverse snobbery because it's B&O perhaps? In which case a bit more background knowledge might be relevant. I don't keep up, so not familiar with the current status, but at one time B&O had arguably the most extensive and capable R&D programme in Europe. Made a lot of 'serious' audio manufacturers look like they were just f***ing about in a garden shed by comparison. Come to think of it, some of them were...

It does look lovely but I think I will stick to my ugly Linn, Naim ATC system which is frighteningly close in price but I suspect sounds much better, well at least to my ears.

There do seem to be a lot of special products around for vast sums of money at the moment. When Naim announced the Nait 50 I thought that was ridiculously expensive but compared to most of the special releases the Nait is beginning to look relatively cheap.

It does look lovely but I think I will stick to my ugly Linn, Naim ATC system which is frighteningly close in price but I suspect sounds much better, well at least to my ears.

There do seem to be a lot of special products around for vast sums of money at the moment. When Naim announced the Nait 50 I thought that was ridiculously expensive but compared to most of the special releases the Nait is beginning to look relatively cheap.
I can't think of anyone who offers a better deal on 'anniversary/limited edition' products than Rega.

One of my dream 'back from the dead' projects would be something like a Sansui AU919, modern materials/thinking applied, built in Japan by proper Sansui people. Never going to happen, which is just as well, because I'd never be able to afford it. I suspect that wouldn't leave a lot of change out of £10k.

In many respects, I think the 'spiritual heir' would be something like the SPEC RSA M99. How much is one of those? About £10k. Bugger.

The Beolab 28 speakers are £15,700 on their own, but bear in mind the finish of them for this Beosystem 9000c is new and they have not used aluminium lamellae before, so are likely to be a bit dearer if they are offered on their own.

The Beoremote One remote handset is £400 and the Beoconnect Encore unit that adds streaming functionality is somewhere around £1000 IIRC. So, £17,000 or so before you add in the refurbished Beosound 9000 and its new stand.

The original Beosound 9000 was £3,400 when it was discontinued in 2011.
We have had several B&O pieces over the years and without fail all have been a joy to live with.

Our current Beosound 2 in the dinning room does exactly what is asked of it, sounds great and looks splendid. Could I live with it, and a turntable? Yes, quite happily.

advertisement

Back