advertisement

Böhm Ring Cycle Philips Vinyl Box £30 should I buy it?!

Personally I prefer to watch opera rather than just listen to it. Der Ring des Nibelungen is one of my favourite operas and I have the libretto in German with English translation alongside. However without the action I would become bored just listening to umpteen hours of German. So you might want to ask yourself if you would actually listen to all four operas in the cycle.

How many records are there as if ts a small number say 4 or 5 it will only be the high lights.

Cheers,

DV

Cheers,

DV

Do you mean Bohm? If so, highly regarded.

Bit of a snip at the price I`d say

I have listened to the whole of the ring in one day, you go into a kind of ringworld, took a couple of days to come back to earth.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
We live in a world of fantastically well priced classical reissues.

And not only cheap, but so much of the back catalogue actually available - good music has never been so accessible. When I started collecting records (mono or stereo, sir?) vast swathes of the back catalogue were unavailable and the influential Record Guide had decided not even to acknowledge, let alone review, mono recordings.

I bought what looked like an immaculate Giulini Verdi Requiem from Oxfam to replace my knackered one. It looked pristine as did the box, libretto and sleeves. The entire left channel had been scraped out (by a dodgy cartridge I assume).

I bought what looked like an immaculate Giulini Verdi Requiem from Oxfam to replace my knackered one. It looked pristine as did the box, libretto and sleeves. The entire left channel had been scraped out (by a dodgy cartridge I assume).

I`m very happy with my CD copy (now) - was iffy on the old Sony player though, appeared to clip.

The CD of that performance (on EMI 'recordings of the century') is dreadfully mastered - harsh, compressed and a thorough disappointment. That's on a Densen CD player too, so no fault there!

I've never come across a record missing an entire channel - another charity shop pitfall to beware!

The CD of that performance (on EMI 'recordings of the century') is dreadfully mastered - harsh, compressed and a thorough disappointment. That's on a Densen CD player too, so no fault there!

My copy predates the "great Recordings of the Century" version and I find it is fine - on a Quad CDP, not on a Sony, as I said. It doesn`t come across as a state of the art modern recording though, which is not a problem.

Worth mentioning that the Bohm is a live recording so has a fair amount of stage and audience noise, but it's still my favourite.

Worth mentioning that the Bohm is a live recording so has a fair amount of stage and audience noise, but it's still my favourite.

I agree the Bohm is very good but for me it has to be Solti - lucky we`re all different otherwise they`d only bother to issue one recording.
I also have a number of vintage recordings of various parts of the Ring and enjoy them all on an occasional basis.

advertisement

Back