advertisement

Avondale TPR4 - Naim Hi-Cap upgrade

Congrats all round - clearly a very well thought out product there and one that is set to become a very well regarded upgrade IMO.

Despite the mothership's dogged defence of the selected 317s they used (we only use the finest 317s and only the pick of the crop go through, blah blah blah) some of us moved on to a much finer solution a long time ago. Clearly this latest Avondale creation is at the 'much finer' end of the scale and will no doubt become a very nice alternative for those who value high performance at a very reasonable price. It's also worth pointing out that any old unserviced Hicap can now be fully serviced simply by bolting in a new pair of main smoothing caps at the same time as fitting the TPR4**. I reckon the total outlay would probably be very little more than the cost of a standard approved service. You pays your money ...

** Maybe a kit of TPR4 plus a pair of main caps would be a handy option.

Mr Tibbs

Note; No connection with Avondale - just an admirer of clever design.

Can anyone tell me what Caps I would need to order from Avondale please.
I keep meaning to ring and ask but only remember in the evening!
John

If you care to call John, I have just a few of my favourite cap for the Hicaps - Sprague
33,000uF. Limited to the few at the same price as Kendeils. First come, first served.

Les,

quick question if I may.

Is it better to run the 0V line from the PSU cap to the TPR pin and then on to the pre-amp circuit; or a star connection with TPR and Preamp 0V lines running separately to meet at the PSU Cap?

To service the Hicap is that all that is required? change the 2 capacitors?

Why on earth does this cost 300 GBP then at the factory :confused:

Congrats all round - clearly a very well thought out product there and one that is set to become a very well regarded upgrade IMO.

Despite the mothership's dogged defence of the selected 317s they used (we only use the finest 317s and only the pick of the crop go through, blah blah blah) some of us moved on to a much finer solution a long time ago. Clearly this latest Avondale creation is at the 'much finer' end of the scale and will no doubt become a very nice alternative for those who value high performance at a very reasonable price. It's also worth pointing out that any old unserviced Hicap can now be fully serviced simply by bolting in a new pair of main smoothing caps at the same time as fitting the TPR4**. I reckon the total outlay would probably be very little more than the cost of a standard approved service. You pays your money ...

** Maybe a kit of TPR4 plus a pair of main caps would be a handy option.

Mr Tibbs

Note; No connection with Avondale - just an admirer of clever design.

The 2 main caps and the little 10uF tantalums on the regulator boards. I suppose they might check if the thermal paste on the heat sinks needs to be refreshed.

To service the Hicap is that all that is required? change the 2 capacitors?

Why on earth does this cost 300 GBP then at the factory :confused:

Often a new mains switch is needed. The LED resistor burns out. The hicap was made before certain regulations, so we go and put extra mains insulation in. Then we change the main capacitors, tants, renew thermal paste and do a full check on load for spurious regulator noise. Then we burn it in for 2 days, repair or re-test if necessary, listen to it, clean up the fascia and knob and rebox it.

And we do that for half the cost of the factory :)

I have just had my faithful old CB SNAPS upgraded to a unit TPR4 by Les.
It previously had a pair of early TPR's fitted.
That was a transformation over the original guts of the SNAPS.
and this is another positive step for sure.
Sound stage bigger, more separation and a bit more thud - if you know what I mean!
(sorry I am from Manchester;-)
and its still beddign in?

Highly recommended indeed.

The only down side of going to see Les W. is that I will have to go back soon and spend more money:eek:

N

The TPR 4 regulator is quite superb, I have used them in both SNAPS and Hicaps, a notable step up across the board.

I would also consider Les's new (ish) TPX 1.5 PSU, this features the TPR 4 and is a brand new unit for the same money was a shagged out Hicap!!!

Food for thought.

I have just had my faithful old CB SNAPS upgraded to a unit TPR4 by Les.
It previously had a pair of early TPR's fitted.
That was a transformation over the original guts of the SNAPS.
and this is another positive step for sure.
Sound stage bigger, more separation and a bit more thud - if you know what I mean!
(sorry I am from Manchester;-)
and its still beddign in?

Highly recommended indeed.

The only down side of going to see Les W. is that I will have to go back soon and spend more money:eek:

N

Had my Hicap TPR4'd last week along with the bigger Vishay 33000uf caps, I agree with your description of the improvements 100%........it is as though the NAP 250 became a NAP 350!!

Hi,

does anyone know if it would be possible to install the TPR4 module to the original long sleeve (similar case as Nac12) snaps? I haven't seen one opened anywhere.

Hi,

does anyone know if it would be possible to install the TPR4 module to the original long sleeve (similar case as Nac12) snaps? I haven't seen one opened anywhere.

The Supercap version will fit quite well with room to spare

Hope that helps, Les

I haven't seen one opened anywhere.

The Supercap version will fit quite well with room to spare

..and it will look like this - Best upgrade ever for a Snaps! Still loving it Les! :)

Btw the Evox Rifa PEH169 caps are the business too, I tried several and they all made a significant difference to the sound (these with a combined ESR spec of around 8mΩ (typical), less than 1/3rd of the original. Although nearly 10 years old when I bought them the ESR still measured very well).

37480624550_1711cc324a_b.jpg

Sorry to ressurect such an old thread, but all the excellent photos showing the TPR4 installation procedure have disappeared. Is there any chance of someone re-posting them?
Thanks in advance

Very interesting; none of them would open on my ipad, however all of them except the last open on my iPhone. Go figure?

advertisement

Back