advertisement

Avondale SE230 vs NAIM Nap 500

Nan

Hi guys, I have a NAP500 which is 19 years old (still sounding great). I believe its now time to have a full service, but the cost of service and postage is almost 50% of its current value. I have been debating with the idea of selling the 500 as is, and replace with avondale SE230 board in a 180 case. Has anyone of you done this move, and if so, was it worth it? The attraction for doing so is the ability to upgrade with new boards instead of having to purchase a completely new amp.

Advice and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean one board (and power supply) in two cases (duel monos) or trying to put the whole lot in one case?

Not quite the same, but I have an olive 250, which I installed Avondale Qudos (NCC200) boards and their HCR200 boards. These sounded fantastic, I trialed the amp against a 500, and in the end I preferred the modified 250’s sound. I have heard good things about the new boards, I would say give them a go. Might save you a pretty packet in the end.

Do you mean one board (and power supply) in two cases (duel monos) or trying to put the whole lot in one case?
Im trying to reduce box count, but not sound quality. Furthermore, the 500 is just too damn heavy, lol. My main concern is whether a modified NAP 180/250 with SE230 boards sounds better that a freshly serviced NAP500. The NAP500 service will cost a bit less than the SE230 boards. Sound quality is my priority, though

Lots of choice out there don't limit yourself to two brands. Assuming rest of your system will be pretty high end, have a look at the whole system & optimise. Active speakers are always an option.

Some bloke fitted some Avondale Audio SE200 boards and minicap6 power supplys into a 180 chassis and case. The result was a very nice improvement over the existing stock serviced equipment. You can be assured the SE230 are another few runs up the sonic ladder from the SE200. The owner said it was well worth the effort.

Big fan of Avondale here so I might be biased.........but I would say sell the big Naim, go ahead with the Avondale package, by music (and wine ?) with the money left over and be a happy man !

I can't speak for your Naim, but I've recently bought a pair of T65 Monoblocks with the SE230 boards and they are superb.

I can't speak for your Naim, but I've recently bought a pair of T65 Monoblocks with the SE230 boards and they are superb.

Good to hear.

I can’t see any prices for complete amps, what does Les charge for these?

Aren’t there SE400’s too?

You should be able to get dual mono SE230’s in one case as that is how my old amp is configured.

Good to hear.

I can’t see any prices for complete amps, what does Les charge for these?

Aren’t there SE400’s too?

You should be able to get dual mono SE230’s in one case as that is how my old amp is configured.

Yes, Les will/should be able to fit the SE230s into a case be it a 180 250 or 135. The cost is dependant on work which needs to be carried out to achieve the fit and or up grade to the PSU.

The SE400s are on another level entirely and surpass most hi end amplification by some margin.

I’d have thought SE400’s would be the ones to go to from a NAP500 in that case.

Would still be nice to see some costs though.

I think you can get a new pair on Voyager Monoblocks with SE400 modules for about £7000. Still a lot of money. They are special though, I'm delighted with my T65s with the SE230 boards.

but the cost of service and postage is almost 50% of its current value
Avondale, and indeed other brands are well worth a look, as active speakers suggested, but have you also explored cheaper service options?

advertisement

Back