advertisement

Avondale SE200 Announcement on FB

Absolutely. I wouldn’t normally even ask about sound quality on a forum as it’s all so subjective, equipment and room dependent, and hard to convey. But where Avondale aren’t in dealerships, it’s very hard to do a comparative, or home, demo before buying…
Yes its not easy is it.

Your NCC200 are in mono blocks or a single case.

What supply rails are you using?

Yes its not easy is it.

Your NCC200 are in mono blocks or a single case.

What supply rails are you using?
Not easy, no. Especially when you get to a certain level of gear (and are comparing to regular live concerts and un-amplified instruments and voices). Small imbalances/slightly unnatural timbres get magnified… Also a lot of variables with sources, speakers, the room…

You know how it is.

They’re in a single case, but run dual mono as in 2x transformers, 2x Cap 6, 2x NCC200

Not easy, no. Especially when you get to a certain level of gear (and are comparing to regular live concerts and un-amplified instruments and voices). Small imbalances/slightly unnatural timbres get magnified… Also a lot of variables with sources, speakers, the room…

You know how it is.

They’re in a single case, but run dual mono as in 2x transformers, 2x Cap 6, 2x NCC200
Is there enough space for a couple of NCC300's ?

Have you thought about trying a pair of second hand NCC220's which come up from time to time. It wouldn't be an expensive upgrade and would definitely give you a SQ lift over what you already have?

These boards can sound very nice and are adaptable to mods if you are into a bit of DIY. I built up a pair last year and ended up swapping out the wet tant to a 47uf Film in parallel with one of Les's preferred SMD devices. The results were pretty good especially when I regulated the front end power.

Les has just released a new power board that incorporates both front and back end supplies that should work very well in that situation.

Just another option for you to consider that won't break the bank

Have you thought about trying a pair of second hand NCC220's which come up from time to time. It wouldn't be an expensive upgrade and would definitely give you a SQ lift over what you already have?

These boards can sound very nice and are adaptable to mods if you are into a bit of DIY. I built up a pair last year and ended up swapping out the wet tant to a 47uf Film in parallel with one of Les's preferred SMD devices. The results were pretty good especially when I regulated the front end power.

Les has just released a new power board that incorporates both front and back end supplies that should work very well in that situation.

Just another option for you to consider that won't break the bank

It’s a good thought, for sure!

I’m not knowledgable enough to mod in terms of DIY. I wired up this amp according to the instructions, but it’s 45 years since I took basic electronics at high school (and then not to an actual qualification, just a module in CDT).

I’m really trying to decide whether it’s worth it for me to upgrade to the SE modules, or whether it’s time for me to try a different amp completely for my system and tastes now…

Avondale were offering a pair of reconditioned NCC220's on their Facebook page not long ago for £300 I think. They may still have them

I think they might actually scratch some of your itch if not all of it. A simple board swap

I'm not sure of resale values but I don't think you'd loose much money wise. A NCC220 dual mono probably would generate more interest second hand than a NCC200 and you would get something back for the original 200 boards if you decided to replace.

Worth a thought whilst you look at all the options.

advertisement

Back