advertisement

Avondale Revelation 1 Speakers : How much?

RegH

pfm Member
Have had a pair of these for some considerable time now and since moving house some years ago, they are gathering dust. Reluctantly will have to move them on once this nasty Covid nonsense is over.

They are in good condition and I have a set of both Ash and Mahogany caps/feet for them.
Just wondered how much I should realistically be asking for them?

I have had several pairs of these and a pair of Rev 2's I'd say £800, very rare indeed and an excellent speaker. I'm sure others will have opinion and you'll soon get a very good idea of the market for these, by the way why not use them?

+1, £800 give or take a little for condition and the version. There were some updates, particularly the bases and crossover. I've got early and late rev 2's and rev 1's <facepalm>.

Still very good speakers, I'm going through a Tannoy DC phase, different rather than better ;)

Thanks for the input.
Tried them on Hifi-forsale some time ago. Les suggested quite a high starting price and eventually dropped them to £900 (from memory) with no interest.

Retired quite a few years ago and moved to a slightly smaller place and domestic harmony was king!!!
Spotify + ripped CDs into Sonos is as 'good' ?? as it gets these days.
NCC200 amp, CDP & furniture all going to have to go but I am terrible at getting rid of anything :-(

Thanks again all
Reg

They are so rare they only have value to those people that have actually herd them, which is me and a few others. It makes it difficult to value them.

You could put them on eBay with maybe a BIN prive and a reserve. I'd love a set of either version, but as they would be speakers in a system that has no room, I'd be castrated if I paid a fair price for them, but feel free to PM me is you want to give them away to a good home :cool:

That's a very generous offer Jem - must bear it in mind ;)
They will indeed need a home demo (and pickup = v.heavy) to sell and as "over 70's" we are being very careful.

Brilliant idea!!!! Zoom demos MUST be the way ahead.

Wife has a tendency to Bronchitis->Pneumonia after chest infections so we are locking down fairly tightly.
I was thinking of issuing a Hazmat suit at the front door.

Good luck with the chemo.
Take care
Reg

I once took a Citation 12 power amp over to Les for an appraisal and he duly hooked it up to a pair of Revelations. The bass output from these relatively small speakers was quite unbelievable. I always lusted after a pair since that day but whenever a pair came up for sale I could never raise the money. Nothing changes :(

Similar experience here... went to (I think) the Chesterfield show and went into a room mainly because of the amazing bass I was hearing outside. Inside were Avondale amplifiers, but I couldn't find the huge speakers. Then I realised the tiny stand mounts were producing such an amazing sound. I think they were the first Revelation 1s and as they were labelled RMS I didn't realise they were Les' until later. When I enquired, I was just told that they were not yet for sale and maybe never would be... later I found they had been, but no longer were. How many pairs were made? Does anybody know?

33 pairs made across Rev1 and 2’s. At least one demo pair sailed off.

I’ve got 3 pairs, they’re special. I think with technology now, measurements and access to dsp/electronic crossover there’s mileage in development of the cabinets. The Achilles heel being the costly and unobtainable drivers, not to mention industrial looks ;)

I too was totally blown away on first hearing the Rev 1 when I went to Avondale Road to pick up the NCC200 kit from him. From memory he put on some "Lemon Jelly".
I had been moving up the Naim amp range but just found it tiring to listen to. Getting the Rev 1 speakers completely cured my upgraditis ;-)

As for industrial looks, I know what you mean but I can't really agree. Acres of wood veneer to cover cabinets big enough to get that bass??? I have the mahogany caps/feet too.
I went up to a friend of Les (Rod at Stands Unique) to pick them up after a "heated discussion" before leaving. Madam really loved the looks on return and they were a feature for many years until the latest lounge redesign.

p.s. Have set the whole thing up again in the spare bedroom and am reacquainting myself with them.
p.p.s Now listening to Lemon Jelly - it's a bit decadent listening to hi-fi lying in bed isn't it???
p.p.p.s I wonder how they would sound in the conservatory? A bit too small and 3 glass walls (lined with foam - maybe not)
p.p.p.p.s OK then, replace the bed with a futon much cheaper than converting the loft.

Sale cancelled ;-)

33 pairs made across Rev1 and 2’s. At least one demo pair sailed off.

Really? What about singles for centres? I have a single that Les upgraded with an improved external XO that has wooden caps both ends (rather than an open end for the stand to bolt onto). They were advertised alongside Stands Unique AV stands (the one with the 9 legs, nightmare to get all correctly spiked!) where they were a perfect fit vertically into the centre space. Can't believe i was the only one.

I had a single, swapped it for some parts in my Voyager build.
So, not sure of the spread across the range?

33 was from Les though my memory is alway hazy from our basement chats.

I once took a Citation 12 power amp over to Les for an appraisal and he duly hooked it up to a pair of Revelations. The bass output from these relatively small speakers was quite unbelievable. I always lusted after a pair since that day but whenever a pair came up for sale I could never raise the money. Nothing changes :(

I have the matching 11 pre amp.... may get it going one day.. or may not...

I heard the Revelations and thought them bass light... but pretty good apart from that.

I was going to do the Pass mod to my 12 but Les talked me out of it. I ended up part exing it with him for some other kit I wanted.

Never heard anyone say Revelations were bass light before!

I changed my bass drivers for the Monacor SPH 135C drive units on Les's advice and the improvement in the bass was substantial. But check the size of the aperture, I believe some may be smaller?

advertisement

Back