advertisement

Avondale NCC300 amp project ..

Just read over on Facebook that Les is leaving the forum because of some unpleasatness over here. I missed that and assume it's been deleted now? That's a shame, the DIY room has always been a nice place to be.

It is known that certain individuals are here (and in fact on all forums) just to sabatage any thread and discredit valued input from genuine contributors. They seem to get a kick out of it....this thread is not the right place really to voice an opinion but.....

Having spent some years away from PFM because of this 'annoyance' I have tentatavly returned to see if things have improved. To some degree yes it has improved but there are still the anonymous few who have to have a dig.

I believe Tony needs to take a look (or not as he pleases) at the structure of these PFM pages. Would it not be better to break the DIY pages into better defined disciplines (as on other forums) This also applies to other audio technologies bring PFM into todays relavant technologies. I know it could get big and messy but it doesn't have to just tailored to the historic postings/interests.

Just a thought....I now wait for the slamming.

Graham

Yes I read that too. From someone just about to embark on my first DIY Audio project, Les was a big factor in me joining PFM. It won’t be the same without him.

Rob

Yes, I think it’s a great shame but probably the best decision for Les right now.

I was in electronic engineering for half my working life but spent the second half teaching in secondary schools. Since retiring Les, and this forum, have been a great help in getting me back into construction, modification and upgrading audio equipment.

The standard of behaviour and manners on PFM has declined steadily over my years on here.

I’m afraid to say you’ll be seeing less from me on here as well.

Malcolm

Last edited:
I sincerely do hope that's not the case, Malcolm.

I'm immensely annoyed that the rude & thoughtless can have such corrosive effect on forums. For LesW to withdraw denies so many here, very esp. the tentative and casual diy readers who don't post but might, a wealth of experience. So we need all the other good eggs here - the hundreds of you - to remain, and actively share what you are up in the best of pfm diy tradition.

I can't add much except to express my distaste for this sort of thing. I do hope this can be resolved and Les doesn't stay away too long. You too Malcolm. Please don't desert us mate, your help has been appreciated by many of us here.

I hope so too. I’m not really part of this community, in the sense that I haven’t built anything but I do follow these threads with interest and some envy of the knowledge and skills here.

I hope Les and Misterc reconsider and stick around.

Rich

I can't say that I am much of an electronic engineer, nor a thorough understanding of the ccts that I have built. However, I have benefited from the great contributions that Les and Malcolm have made on this forum. Particularly Les, who has provide to the PFM DIY community access to some of the very best sounding amplifiers. I still have Les's original Word document about tuning Naim ccts. I would read and reread sections of it, trying the modification to the cct and having a listen.. wonderful times, huge enjoyment, fabulous discoveries.

I shall miss both your contributions to an area of PFM that I always found insulated from the 'self importance' of the Audio room for example.

I’m very sorry to see Les go as he has been a part of pfm from the start and I, apparently mistakenly, thought he was a friend. His choice, certainly not mine. He asked me to remove his account, which I obviously can’t do given the technical nature of many of his posts may leave so many threads dangerous/lethal if I were to bulk delete. As such I have locked his account at his request and removed anything the GDPR might consider ‘personal data’ (which isn’t really given he has only ever posted here as his business, and all Avondale details can so easily be Googled it isn’t ‘personal’). That is the state of play. FWIW I find it beyond laughable he would leave pfm for somewhere with as much truly repugnant and hateful content as Facebook! A place that platformed Britain First, the EDL, has hosted videos of children being bullied, gangs beating people up, child grooming etc etc etc...

Anyway the door is always open and he’d be welcome to return at any point.

Last edited:
I think the final straw for Les was an issue over a Naim 250 that a member was advertising on the classifieds forum. He later posted to say a trade member had bought it but wanted it sent "on approval" to be paid for only if it was as described.
Many subsequent posts criticised such behaviour before Les posted to say that he was the "trade" member in question!
All the relevant posts appear to have been deleted and there was never an explanation from either Les or the potential seller of the 250 as to the precise circumstances.
It was shortly after that (afternoon of Friday 13th April) Les posted on both the "NCC300" and "Qudos" threads saying he was leaving pfm "with immediate effect".
His posts, and mine alerting members why he might not respond to questions raised in the above threads, were deleted within the next 40 minutes and Tony pmd me to say he was trying to sort things out with Les, apparently without success.
That's my recollection of what happened.
Great shame!

Yes, as above. I made a somewhat flipant post on that thread pointing out Les wasn’t a trade account holder (which he wasn’t, he hadn’t renewed his account for a good couple of years). I certainly didn’t intend to upset him, I thought my post was a gentle ribbing if that, and once I realised it had been taken otherwise I was quite shocked and dumped the whole thread. I even tried phoning him up (he was clearly fuming and fairly swiftly stuck the phone down on me despite my trying to apologise if I’d caused offence). I don’t understand it to be honest. I shouldn’t really be commenting here I guess, but if my forum/business is being criticised I feel I have the right to state what happened.

Quite right Tony!
I can only assume that this struck Les at a bad time, but after what he's been through in the past 6 months he's entitled to just say f**k it!

We can all get a bit cross sometimes and Les is no different I'm sure. The problem with being a business owner and putting yourself out there on forums is that you have to be prepared to take some flak to. I'm sure he'll be back when he cools down and realises how difficult trying to run his own forum will be. I'd have thought his business has relied a lot on this forum over the years for new customers and an insular forum with only his own customers is going to not really generate much new traffic.

I'll be sad to see him leave, I know he didn't post much these days but I've really enjoyed his acerbic style over the years.

advertisement

Back