advertisement

AVI DM10's pre orders on now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much will they cost?

And are they just a bigger version of the 5 or something different? I understand they share the same tweeter, do they have DAC or preamp function built in like the 9s?

How much will they cost?

And are they just a bigger version of the 5 or something different? I understand they share the same tweeter, do they have DAC or preamp function built in like the 9s?

From the AVI Facebook page...

DM10s are basically much improved ADM9RS, so the same size and appearance and facilities except that the bass driver has a round instead of a square chassis, so cannot be fitted to existing speakers. Upgrade of present models are not possible.
Electronics are the same but for the improved crossover filters to render them completely inaudible and a redesigned amplifier input stage that further reduces distortion.
The new crossover, the 300 times better damping factor and not having between 1 and 20% distortion from inductors are what gives our actives a huge advantage. but it's not the whole story. All drivers sound different, although manufacturers specs look surprisingly similar. By agreeing to pay over double the going rate for high end OEMs for our specially designed bass driver, we've a much smoother, broader bandwidth one that sounds identical to the tweeter (normally there's quite a change) at the crossover and has impeccable phase and amplitude behaviour extending an octave above the crossover. This is very special indeed and with the already superb tweeter gives us unparalleled clarity and imagery.
They are remarkable similar in terms of clarity to Sennheiser HD650 rather than the more controversial HD800. we've done this because so much pop is harsh and bright, specially seventies and eighties nostalgia stuff. Also Classical music and Jazz seem spot on and that's the real reference. Rog has been like a father to me!
I've spoken to Andy at Oakwood to establish the most popular veneers and the are: Cherry, specially selected Walnut, Premium grade Santos Rosewood (£100 extra), Light Oak and textured black or white (£50 extra). Ebony is less popular, more expensive and variable in finish. It might be blackish, it might have the odd light streak and it can be black and yellow striped depending on what's available, so I'd rather not order it.
Prices will be £1499 for Cherry, Walnut and Light Oak, £1549 for textured Black and White and £1599 for Rosewood. Believe it or not Ebony might be £1699.

How much will they cost?

The cabinets and functionality is exactly the same as the 9's. Same DAC / Amp pack / cabinet size. What is different is the crossover: 8th order, and they've had their Indian driver manufacturer create a bespoke 6.5" driver with a HUGE great big magnet on it. They recon the sound is closer to the DM5's that in my opinion are a stunning speaker, they lack a little bass but nothing a sub doesn't sort!

Now I know there's a lot of issues with AVI here, historical tension. But the DM5's trounced my previous big speaker passive set up and for me have bettered some other studio actives I've tried. I have my disagreements with some of Ash's views too over on the AVI forum... But, I try to take a product for its own worth and not the marketing, and The DM5's have stopped me box swapping for almost a year now.

They are remarkable similar in terms of clarity to Sennheiser HD650 rather than the more controversial HD800.
This is a bad thing. 650s are a bit rolled-off and shut-in sounding. HD800s are very extended and a huge leap forward. Anyway, much as I loved the Lab Series components, it's difficult to take *anything* written or spoken about more recent AVI kit with anything less than a huge pinch of salt. Which is a pity as it could be decent enough, but I'll steer well clear thank you...

they lack a little bass but nothing a sub doesn't sort!

That is verbatim what the manufacturer said about the 9s (now legacy designs).

they've had their Indian driver manufacturer create a bespoke 6.5" driver...

Have they really - or have their Indian driver manufacturer just told them they are discontinuing the old driver and this is the nearest replacement.... (which is what commonly happens to small manufacturers relying on others for their drive units).

I confidently predict that these new ones will be as all previous models - OK, but far from format defining (other than the bullshit marketing which will reach new heights).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m well aware of the various reactions the mention of AVI can evoke, I can’t say it sways me one way or the other and I wouldn’t mind checking them out at some point, along with a few others. Cheers.

How can this speaker be "much improved" over the 9RS that we were assured by the usual reliable sources was a fantastic, unbelievably & jaw-droppingly good product?

I like the controversial HD800s, the best headphones Sennheiser makes and among the cans best period. End of. Full stop. I have spoken.

< august sound of tribal drums being hit, after the "I have spoken bit" bit >

Joe

How can this speaker be "much improved" over the 9RS that we were assured by the usual reliable sources was a fantastic, unbelievably & jaw-droppingly good product?

Yes exactly and if the new speakers reduce noise and distortion so much and increase damping factor 300 times, the old speakers must have been terrible.

I don't see why such a steep high order crossover (8th apparently) is required if the drive units are so well behaved? If the mid/bass driver really is custom made to their specification it should have been pretty easy to match it to the tweeter with a much simpler crossover.

Less hassle in the cross over zone, it's still a challenge to reproduce full range music with a twin driver setup.
But when you go to three drivers there's another cross over zone so that's no free lunch either.
Presumably the Xover is all done digitally?

According to AVI all passive speakers are awful sounding, now I know they are going to say that but I wonder why active speakers are not more popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back