advertisement

AV amp from Technics could have some Audiophile Merit!

beammeup

pfm Member
I won this in our local auction - I was more interested at the time in the accompanying Technics DVD-A player in the same colour - but when I opened this Technics SA-DA10 AV amp I was impressed with the internals (see below). Also the Class A design (it gets hot on top btw), MOS-FET, and Variable Gain, plus spades of power. Take a look ...

Good work - looks like a quality piece of kit :)

Yes it looks it = but whether it plays to the high standards we might expect on this forum remains to be seen.

This really does get quite hot on top - so my guess is that this is fundamentally a Class A design. I'm a bit worried that the fan around the back hasn't kicked in yet ....

Sorry I'm posting stuff as I'm learning - by putting a fan of my own at the rear, this help considerably in cooling the top plate of the amp

But I found out later that the fan on the back of the Technics does work - but only engages and spins when the volume is turned to the position shown in the photo below - not practical in my opinion because it gets quite hot at low volume levels...

I may just get one of these to permanently run at the rear to increase the longevity of this amp (if I get serious with it and want to keep it)..

https://www.gearbest.com/air-cooler...BS-T0wyESJFhkOMN9WErHwz68VzocqERoC4eIQAvD_BwE

I’m afraid “Well made Japanese equipment in ‘sounds good’ shocker” is hardly headline news!

One of the best sounding amps I’ve come across was a Yamaha DSP-A1 surround sound receiver. Weighed a ton and sounded absolutely superb. It was also worth nothing at the time (about five years ago) as it didn’t have HDMI or even SCART sockets. Interestingly, however, it seems that the values for these are on the rise now.

I’m afraid “Well made Japanese equipment in ‘sounds good’ shocker” is hardly headline news!

One of the best sounding amps I’ve come across was a Yamaha DSP-A1 surround sound receiver. Weighed a ton and sounded absolutely superb. It was also worth nothing at the time (about five years ago) as it didn’t have HDMI or even SCART sockets. Interestingly, however, it seems that the values for these are on the rise now.

I'm looking forward to putting this in the main rig so I can see what it is truly capable of - both as an amplifier and as a DAC (internally built into the unit).

I bought a Rotel RSP1582 and think it sounds superb. http://www.rotel.com/product/rsp-1582
I have yet to compare its digital inputs to a M-DAC, but from memory it is going to be close.

I have not yet experimented with the parametric equlizer, it should be possible to reduce the two main room nodes I have problems with, I think.

advertisement

Back