advertisement

Auriol Grey cycling manslaughter conviction overturned

I’m not sure a 77 year old woman riding a step through shopper on the pavement at walking pace is exactly crime of the century. And the lady who had a go at her was hardly the most threatening of people. Seems like a sad incident in which two vulnerable people have both come off very badly, but plenty in the legal system have had a pay day.

That this sad incident has become a locus for the tedious gammony clamour for cyclists to have number plates and insurance doesn’t surprise me either
…and the cyclist should not have been on the pavement and the pedestrian calmer in remonstrating, it is all rather sad. As you say two vulnerable people and circumstances collided.
living in rural Cumbria this motorist vs cyclist thing is not something we have. There is no hostility at all. Rarely I get held up a bit when driving at very most for a 30 seconds or so if situations collide and I have never been abused as a cyclist, we tend to wave thanks or apologies.
Having recently bought an electric bike I can imagine that registration will come in at some stage for them, it is so much larger and heavier than my other two ordinary bikes. You could do some serious damage riding stupidly on pavements.
Also in cities I notice that couriers have had their bike’s modified so they are effectively electric motorbikes, I’m not a copper but can clearly see it. They need their bikes confiscating.

…and the cyclist should not have been on the pavement and the pedestrian calmer in remonstrating,
I think it this case it appears to be unclear if the pavement in question was a shared path or not, and therefore whether the cyclist was allowed to be there.

and the pedestrian calmer in remonstrating,
It’s almost like you’re commenting without reading the court transcript or having any insight into the nature of being partially-sighted. See my earlier comments re: why this person will have, entirely understandably, gesticulated as they did. There is nothing they ought to or could have done differently.

It’s almost like you’re commenting without reading the court transcript or having any insight into the nature of being partially-sighted. See my earlier comments re: why this person will have, entirely understandably, gesticulated as they did. There is nothing they ought to or could have done differently.
Ha, thank God you are here Mike. I will go directly to your earlier posts and give them my full and undivided attention.

I’m glad the stupid law looks like being killed. IDS is a complete dolt. Feel very sorry for the man who lost his wife to the errant cyclist though.

30,000 each year are killed or seriously injured each year by motor vehicle but let’s target the 4 at the hands of cyclists. If we could reduce the big number by 1% it would be of far more value.

I am rather concerned by the modified electric bikes though, pretty much every Deliveroo rider seems to be on one; they don’t require pedalling & seem very poorly maintained. I also think they stir up anti cycling sentiment by the way they ride; on the plus side they would otherwise be in knackered cars with no insurance.

advertisement

Back