advertisement

Audiophile songs you're sick of

What's wrong with Lambchop?! I'd never put them in the category of audiophile discs! ;)

I walked out of an LP12 demo at a dealer in Leeds because he wanted to play Fairground Attraction instead of the Henry Rollins Band and Fall albums I'd taken. My perception, based on going to shows recently-ish is it's got worse with DK, Norah Jones et-al.
Hopefully it was Totale's Turns, lo-fi decades before lo-fi was a thing.

I too got the snob treatment demo'ing an LP12, at Jeffries in Brighton, mid-80s. I wanted to play Joy Division's Closer, which in their eyes 'wasnt very dynamic' and they switched it for some awful 'female vocalist' recorded well but dull as dish water.

On the topic of top songs recorded well, nothing for me beats the 12" of ShipBuilding by Robert Wyatt. Epic.

It's just catering for its target audience - middled aged blokes mostly interested in classic rock. You're free to pick up Computer Music, Shindig or The Wire if you want something more leftfield.
I get that, but the others aren't available from my bank subscription service. What gets up my nose is that "middle aged blokes mostly interested in classic rock" is me. Down to a T. It *should* be right up my street, I have shelves of Dylan, Tull, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Young, the list goes on. I *AM* the target market. Even I find it dull. Month after month we go back to the 70s and 80s, or we interview some grey haired blokes in their 60s and 70s about what they did 40 or 50 years ago. Crucially, there is nothing else. It's just lazy journalism. I could live with "We talk to Ian Anderson about the making of "Songs From the Wood" (again)" if they also had some newer stuff, or something slightly left field. But they don't. It's like a classic car magazine that hasn't moved on from the 60s. Yes, yes, I get it, there will always be a place for "Bob restored this MGB in his mum's shed" and "We replace a clutch on a Morris Minor" but they also cover 80s hatches, the odd weirdo European car, big American stuff, and so on. If all you ever get is yet another E Type to drool over, yet another wheel bearing on a Cortina, and yet another Triumph Spitfire rear suspension repair, you'll give up. As I say, fortunately there is a CD which is worth a play, otherwise it would be Homes and bloody Gardens.

Hopefully it was Totale's Turns, lo-fi decades before lo-fi was a thing.
It would've been mid-90s so probably something "polished" like Extricate! I mean, I know the Fall aren't to everyone's taste but I was horrified that someone who appeared younger than me would prefer Fairground Attraction.

Confession time: I willfully listened to some Diana Krall and Dire Straits at the weekend, but have so far resisted the Alan Parsons Project.

advertisement

Back