advertisement

Audiophile songs you're sick of

Not sure if this works. This is the list of songs me phone picked up from the Bristol HiFi show 2024. I can't figure out a way to export the songs as a list :(

You young whippersnappers have overlooked Amanda McBroom and “Growing Up in Hollywood Town,” the scourge of the Eighties.

That triggered my 1'st simple rule of 'Audiophile recordings' to avoid: Never, ever listen to anything where Lincoln Mayorga tries to play the piano. I actually, out of sheer mistake, have a few :(

This thread made me think of a demo at a Naim dealer ages ago. We tried to hear the difference between a CDI and a CDS (for non Naim'ies: One was very expensive, the other hideously so). The usual 'well recorded' CD's where used. No one heard any difference. Then someone throw some very raw punk into the players. The difference was there!

This thread made me think of a demo at a Naim dealer ages ago. We tried to hear the difference between a CDI and a CDS (for non Naim'ies: One was very expensive, the other hideously so). The usual 'well recorded' CD's where used. No one heard any difference. Then someone throw some very raw punk into the players. The difference was there!
I'd argue that a 'raw' or even 'lo-fi' recording of a punk band that captures the energy of the performance is a good recording whereas a production that smooths out the rough edges and makes it sound nice probably isn't.

To my ears the first two Sons of Kemet recordings on Naim suffer from this. I don't know if it's because of the way they were recorded or whether it was decisions taken in mixing the recordings but they completely fail to capture the astonishing energy of the band playing live. The records on Impulse are a lot better.

If we are talking about audiophile recordings, they are generally not very good. For instance I find Chesky CDs pretty horrible and brittle sounding. Linn is not great either, the same for Naim.

For me, the best sounding recordings tend to be from the big companies. They frequently have very good recording engineers doing the recording, mixing and mastering. There is no comparison.

If I have to hear Nils Lofgren one more time o_O

I have a feeling Nils Lofgren got top marks for "Works and plays well with others" in elementary school. As a side man he can fit in with anyone. I especially appreciate his work with Neil Young over the years.

His solo work does nothing for me.

I was unaware he had an audiophile warhorse?

If we are talking about audiophile recordings, they are generally not very good. For instance I find Chesky CDs pretty horrible and brittle sounding. Linn is not great either, the same for Naim.

For me, the best sounding recordings tend to be from the big companies. They frequently have very good recording engineers doing the recording, mixing and mastering. There is no comparison.
Occasionally at shows they demo with good classical music which helps me - but not too often.

One of the recordings I have heard twice now was the RR recording of Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. To me it's very audiophile. To my ears it is well played, superbly recorded but mixed so that the orchestral drums are so prominent that I couldn't imagine hearing something like it in any concert hall I know that would accommodate an orchestra of that size.

I heard it from the adjacent room at the last Ascot show when I was talking to the Boyer people about the range of kit they had. It was in the play list for the ATC room at the last Signals show. Actually it's a good work-out for some of the capabilities of the system but not a recording I would listen to at home (well, not more than once).

Occasionally at shows they demo with good classical music which helps me - but not too often.

I would bring my copy of Bernstein's Mahler 8th Symphony. I would want to hear how speakers attempt to resolve the crescendos of poorly recorded massed choir and orchestra! (I'm sure I would get booted from the room).

I think most of Bernstein’s catalogue was recorded live as that’s how he preferred it, hence the indifferent sound quality. I wouldn’t be without his early ew York cycle though for it’s white heat.

I think most of Bernstein’s catalogue was recorded live as that’s how he preferred it, hence the indifferent sound quality. I wouldn’t be without his early ew York cycle though for it’s white heat.
Concur. I've found difficult recordings to be more reliable as a system test than good recordings. I've made good speaker choices in the past this way. In shows, I haven't seen a willingness to demonstrate how well they cope with the rough stuff.

I think most of Bernstein’s catalogue was recorded live as that’s how he preferred it, hence the indifferent sound quality.
That's interesting. Do live orchestral recordings inherently have worse sound? I can see how the performance might be 'warts and all' because there's no opportunity to redo parts but I'd have thought recording an ensemble in a space with a good acoustic would be half the battle. Does limited setup time or compromises with mic placement impact the sound quality perhaps?

Not sure if this works. This is the list of songs me phone picked up from the Bristol HiFi show 2024. I can't figure out a way to export the songs as a list :(

Works fine. Starts brilliantly with the Beach Boys then went downhill fast for most of the rest of the list…..😀

Interesting thread, and some good recommendations in there.

I have come around to the point where I have "sacrificed" a number of tracks that I use pretty much exclusively for testing/assessing/setup. I only use them for this purpose, but because I know them well they are useful.... but because I have heard them so often they are lost as music to me.

Luckily there is so much other music out there to listen to!!

I have come around to the point where I have "sacrificed" a number of tracks that I use pretty much exclusively for testing/assessing/setup. I only use them for this purpose, but because I know them well they are useful.... but because I have heard them so often they are lost as music to me.

Agreed. Though I do use short excerpts from operas, so the excerpt doesn't ruin the opera itself.

advertisement

Back