advertisement

Audiophile songs you're sick of

I remember taking my copy of PIL’s Metal Box to a dem back in the ‘80s, stuff like Pixies, Firehose etc too. I completely emptied a Nottingham Analogue dem room with a LSG techno 12” back in the late ‘90s, in hindsight a great decision as I ended up chatting to Tom Fletcher for an hour or so. I learned a lot that day. He was a very bright guy.

The problem with so called audiophile discs is that they are often dull affairs and there are relatively limited occasions when the recording matches the performance.When I used to listen to equipment in hifi shops I always took my own music just to avoid Lambchop and Tracey Chapman which was enough to put me off any new equipment.
The look on faces when you play a Michael Tippett opera CD at a speaker dealer demo is a hoot. They look completely lost!

Not a big electro fan though I do like some Depeche Mode and James Blake on occasion. I find Darko quite sensible.
Yes, he is. I struggle with his playlists though, 90% of it is too much for me, but worth trawling through for the 10% that is great.

Timely thread, I'll be helping out in the Coherent room in Cranage this year, and was asked last week to put a play list together to help avoid this and to introduce a bit of variety to intersperse "the usual" stuff.

Of course, part of me wants to put one together called "Hi-fi Show-goers worst predictable plinky-plonk nightmare", so I'm picking up tips here - and I might throw in some Sun Ra for those who think they're immune.;):p

I remember taking my copy of PIL’s Metal Box to a dem back in the ‘80s, stuff like Pixies, Firehose etc too. I completely emptied a Nottingham Analogue dem room with a LSG techno 12” back in the late ‘90s, in hindsight a great decision as I ended up chatting to Tom Fletcher for an hour or so. I learned a lot that day. He was a very bright guy.
When I bought a copy of Ascension in the Kyoto branch of Hi-Fi Do the lovely manager Hiroki-san insisted on playing it at full whack on their main demo system in the middle of the shop - a pair of enormous JBLs powered by some kind of big Mcintosh amps. Bless him. He just stood there with a raised eyebrow as the shop emptied of punters but he left it on for the whole of side A.

When I bought a copy of Ascension in the Kyoto branch of Hi-Fi Do the lovely manager Hiroki-san insisted on playing it at full whack on their main demo system in the middle of the shop - a pair of enormous JBLs powered by some kind of big Mcintosh amps. Bless him. He just stood there with a raised eyebrow as the shop emptied of punters but he left it on for the whole of side A.

Ascension would be a great dem record, there’s a lot going on there! I’ve got a US original (2nd Ed) and it kicks!

Another one is Diana Krall.

I don't have any "audiophile" recordings, just music I like and want to listen to.

I go on and off Diana Krall. At the moment off her. The jazz vocalist I listen to the most is early Dee Dee Bridgewater, especially Keeping Tradition which has marvellous piano playing from Thierry Eliez. Very good recording too.

Ascension would be a great dem record, there’s a lot going on there! I’ve got a US original (2nd Ed) and it kicks!
Not my cup of tea just listening to the first few minutes. Sounds like an orchestra tuning up before a performance.

What the hell is an 'audiohile disc'? Nonsense surely. Name one recording artists whi sat in the studio and said....'I know I'm hated, but if it's really well engineered, lots of audiofools will buy this'.
Quite.
Some albums are beautifully recorded and it's no coincidence that is far easier to do this with simople kit in a good environment and carful engineering. So Nora for example, and Sinead O'C and others can be made to sound fab far more easily that some crackdustdeath metal band recording on garage band in an attic somewhere.
WE, the audiophile community, start theses 'high quality recording' rumours and no-one can be blamed for an anxious kit dealer not choosing to play something that makes your ears bleed during their demo.

Some albums are beautifully recorded and it's no coincidence that is far easier to do this with simople kit in a good environment and carful engineering. So Nora for example, and Sinead O'C and others can be made to sound fab far more easily that some crackdustdeath metal band recording on garage band in an attic somewhere.
Most of the Porky cuts I've heard are pretty good, for example, even the first Damned album! It's just the trouble taken to do the job to a standard and not throw it out poorly mixed, on crap vinyl.

I hate that show music which is so well recorded but so obscure.One girl and a guitar..plinky plonk piano jazz

I once went to the Hi Fi News show at Windsor in 2018 and the Absolute Sounds room was playing nothing but that type of music.
What really made me smile was Peter Mc Grath who was hosting the room had fallen asleep and was asleep for a good 15 mins
If he had been playing some Reggae or Rock I am sure he would have stayed awake...but the usual audiophile crap that you wouldn't play at home....well I wouldn't.

advertisement

Back