advertisement

Audiophile Fuses?

Purely for interest’s sake, I have just wandered into our holiday gite in France....there are 22 breakers in three banks.
(Edited)

I wonder how many people wished you a good summer break ! Interesting discovery, though; that's a lot of MCBs, and one per radial, I guess. Wonder if that's the norm domestically or simply a holiday gite requirement.

that's a lot of MCBs, and one per radial, I guess. Wonder if that's the norm domestically or simply a holiday gite requirement.

Our house over there ( and its not a Gite ) has more than that. I occasionally glance at it and then walk quickly away. Its like a control panel at NASA. I must post a picture some time

I wonder how many people wished you a good summer break ! Interesting discovery, though; that's a lot of MCBs, and one per radial, I guess. Wonder if that's the norm domestically or simply a holiday gite requirement.

Pretty much the same as a cottage we used to borrow in Brittany which was not a commercial let.

I don’t know whether the place was built as a home or as a gite. It’s obviously a recent “new build”, rather than a conversion; three bedrooms, living/dining/kitchen area, garage, terrace. A good “starter” or “young family” home, but with one heck of view over the valley!

Looking at the breakers (Schneider consumer unit), each has a little sticker on it showing to what it’s connected. So there’s a couple for the lights, a few for electric heaters, separate breakers for dishwasher, washing machine, hob and one which looks like a chicken roasting in an oven!

In our 3 bedroom flat: 18 circuits with 23 breakers... The over-currnet devices are generally after the residual current protection protecting each group.
When I had that lot installed 20 years ago it was "public building" standard but nowadays this is just normal in new builds.

In a large house a continental radial system can add up to a LOT of cable! As well as huge panels. Not sure if you are allowed sub-panels fed by larger radials?

All this electrical wiring stuff is nowhere near as complicated as people make it out to be if you consult an electrician to make sure that you are adhering to the wiring regulations. Likewise, fuses in the plug tops should always be of the correct rating. I realise that this doesn't make for an interesting discussion, but there you go.

I've done a lot of wiring in my house, but all along the way I have either consulted an electrician or else got him to do the work for me. We're moving a long way from the OP's original question about audiophile fuses.

Why the hell do you guys keep talking about the same subject over and over and over again, have you got goldfish memories?

@OP use the search function, this subject has been covered countless numbers of times, unless you are trolling.

When people talk about replacing fuses, do they mean the fuse in the 13 amp wall plug or the one in the component? My gear has its own fuses, in fact the Naim xps would blow out on occassion. But I am not sure which fuses are being referred to in this controversial topic.

The OP dropped his stink bomb and ran away it's obviously trolling.

Or maybe he's just dumbfounded by the hijack of the French domestic radial group. B.t.w., I'm pretty sure he was referring to plug fuses, DUCKWORP. Case fuses are a separate matter and may not have audiofool applications.

I've done a lot of wiring in my house, but all along the way I have either consulted an electrician or else got him to do the work for me. We're moving a long way from the OP's original question about audiophile fuses.

I started installing dedicated radial hifi systems in the mid eighties, where I could route from the cellar incoming through to under the floorboards in the listening room. Probably all in vain because it was wire fuses in those days. Modern electrics makes the whole thing so much more efficient and safer.

When people talk about replacing fuses, do they mean the fuse in the 13 amp wall plug or the one in the component? My gear has its own fuses, in fact the Naim xps would blow out on occassion. But I am not sure which fuses are being referred to in this controversial topic.

For the most part they are talking about the one in the mains plug, but you can also buy ‘audiophile’ fuses for the equipment too.

Oh, the fuse in your xps shouldn’t blow on occasion.

As AndrewM stated, it’s possible to overload a socket but still be drawing less current than the fuse protecting a circuit.

Think of a multiway extension lead with no fuse in the plug top, you could easily plug in a couple of 3kw heaters which would draw around 26A while the ring final circuit is protected by a 32A MCB. The MCB would happily let the circuit pull that current all day but the extension lead wouldn't
Which is why a 13A 4 way extenson cable has a 13A fuse in the plug. Always.

When I lived in France the house MCB had the circuits labelled with which child's bedroom it related to, which was quite odd. I often used to wonder where the children were now and had become.

For the most part they are talking about the one in the mains plug, but you can also buy ‘audiophile’ fuses for the equipment too.

Oh, the fuse in your xps shouldn’t blow on occasion.

Actually, thinking back it happened when my electrician installed a separate mains circuit for the hifi but had not put a big enough fuse in the fuse box and if I turned the NAIM power amp on it would sometimes blow the fuse in the XPS and often trip the switch in the fuse box. So I would leave the amp on. In the end he put a bigger fuse in the consumer unit so it stopped doing it.

advertisement

Back