advertisement

Audion Hot Rod 300b valves

Ian Dunmore

pfm Member
Good afternoon Audio hive mind, has anybody heard of these? 3 came with the mono-blocs that I have just purchased and I want to list them on eBay but have no idea how much for? If I put them as an auction item they might sell for too little and don’t know enough about them to list a buy it now price...

Last edited:
Hi, Years ago I had an early Audion EL34 SET amplifier. Was from '91 or '92. This had smaller transformers than the current ones they do. Sounded very nice into Audio note speakers. It came with "Hot Rod" el34 tubes. After enquiring with Audion I was told that these were the original valves that came with the amp and were of Chinese origin. Nowadays if I remember correctly they recommend Electro Harmonix valves for price/ performance.

Electro Harmonix is one of several trade marks owned by Sovtek, Russia. How the valves produced by them under the different names vary, if at all, I have no idea.

JJ (Tesla) are Slovakian-made.

https://www.jj-electronic.com/en/component/search/?searchword=300b&searchphrase=all&Itemid=118

JJ 300B and 2A-3 compared and cost the same - around £96

No doubt, like valves badged by companies since valves existed, the badge will be attached to whatever makes economic sense at any particular point in time. Audion are likely no different in that respect. Tracing who actually makes/made any particular valve would require comparison with valves of known source.

The major problem with selling them will be that people will be looking for measurements - which actually mean something for power amp valves, unlike preamp valves.

advertisement

Back