advertisement

Audiolab MDAC - repair ?

bbbiker800

pfm Member
HI All - My MDAC presented me with the 'no comms' messages so I sent it to Audiolab who declared my MDAC needs fixes to the 'power supply and communications' sections of the box. Rather than pay them to fix or take an MDAC+ from them I've decided to use a different DAC. As I don't have the skills to fix it myself I was wondering if anyone in the community would be interested in it ? (apologies if this is the wrong place for this but I wanted get some views).

all views appreciated !

thanks

richard

It probably needs upwards of 40 capacitors replaced, i had to change around that number in mine about 7 or 8 years ago. Not for the faint hearted or those with limited soldering capability or skills as the PCB isn’t great quality and delaminates easily.

Slight possibility it is the crystal, apparently there was a dodgy batch along with Lelon capacitors, but given the age most likely is the caps and as Killie says it’s a pig of a job even with the right tools.

Id be interested in repairing it and giving it a listen - but I’d need need postage to Switzerland (at my cost?). Happy to pay a token amount for it, or give a donation to PFM?

Thanks, Richard

I have exactly the same problem. Came back from holiday to the ‘No Comms’ message upon powering it up. Assuming it is now dead. Currently using the inbuilt DAC on my Squeezebox Touch which sounds surprisingly OK.

advertisement

Back