advertisement

Audiolab M-DAC doesn't connect well to Samsung TV via SPDIF

Marc Marc

Hi there,
currently I'm facing the following issue with my Audiolab M-DAC:
When buying a new Samsung Smart TV (series 6179) I also wanted to connect the digital SPDIF-output with the M-DAC. When using this connection I’m always getting dropouts in the audio signal (every few seconds). It’s not only limited to the TV, but also when trying to ‘forward’ the audio signal e.g. from Blu-Ray Player via TV to the M-DAC.
I already contacted Samsung and they exchanged the mainboard, updated the firmware and also tested at their site. There the Samsung is working well incl. use of the digital output and with new dropouts. We also checked the cables, but no issues there.
Hence is there any idea what I can do (at the M-DAC) to ensure that I don’t e those dropouts, e.g. updating the firmware?

Many thanks upfront,
Marc

if its like the audiolab 8200cdq then he may be disapointed where there the default is the wide bandwidth? so unless he has changed it some time thats what he has got already.

Where is the TV getting it's signal from, could be the problem.

I have a Samsung 5 series outputting to MDAC. I use Freesat and normally (BBC) it is fine but with ITV for the footie both sound and picture were dropping out. Only on HD though swapping channels to SD worked fine. Thankfully I only need ITV every 4 years.

Is the Blu Ray audio problem off BD disc ?

Ok, as suggested by sam_cat installed firmware version A.10 (latest one) and set jitter Rejection option to Wide Bandwidth for TV.
Result is that the dropouts did go down, but still existing (around all 40-60 sec), so big step forward :) Many thanks to you sam_cat
Is there any further suggestion to avoid the dropouts fully?
@misterodg: The issue was with blue-rays, DVDs, plugged-in USB-sticks etc, same for Apple TV.
PS: I'm a bit surprised that it's not working well as I always thought that Hifi industry is using standardized interfaces and formats, but reality is showing something different. Also Samsung outlined that they can't ensure compatibility to all AV-Receivers. So next time pick up my receiver to go shopping for a new TV ;-)?

I had the same issues with an Airport Express and an MDAC, it’s caused by jitter from the digital out, and the chip in the MDAC seems particularly susceptible to it. My solution was to change to an older Airport Express. You probably have two choices, new tv or new DAC!

advertisement

Back