advertisement

Audiolab in low esteem here?

norliss

pfm Member
Hi,

I've recently decided to move back from multi-channel to stereo so been looking at what's available in the world of integrated amps.

Given my intended price-range, the Audiolab 8300A is currently at the top of the list. Partly because it seems (seemed?!) well-regarded and partly because I always hankered after Audiolab 8000 stuff back in the early 90s when I first started with HiFi separates but was a penniless student!

However from a cursory glance, it doesn't seem that Audiolab brand is so well regarded here (post-IAG purchase)..?

I remember looking into this and seeing detailed descriptions that there is little or no difference between the new and old.

I then went through 8000As, 8000C, 8000Ps and 8000Ms all serviced by Audio Cellar just because that's what I wanted back in the day. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them (when partnered with the right equipment).

It would be interesting to compare them - borrow an 8000A and compare them.

Hi,

I've recently decided to move back from multi-channel to stereo so been looking at what's available in the world of integrated amps.

Given my intended price-range, the Audiolab 8300A is currently at the top of the list. Partly because it seems (seemed?!) well-regarded and partly because I always hankered after Audiolab 8000 stuff back in the early 90s when I first started with HiFi separates but was a penniless student!

However from a cursory glance, it doesn't seem that Audiolab brand is so well regarded here (post-IAG purchase)..?

The Audiolab brand became "famous" again with the release of the M-DAC several years ago. I own an M-DAC and am quite happy with the sound it produces. On the quality side of things... I would be less tempted to praise the brand name. There are many M-DAC's with failing caps, including mine. But mine also has the USB connecter broken. At some point there was a part of the connecter that just fell off (I don't use USB for audio...). There are also many M-DAC's with failing crystals, sticky relays, etc. This leads me to believe that the quality of the individual components are not in the same league as the electronic design of the M-DAC.

The Cambridge Audio CXA80 is also in your price range. If I were you I would have a look at that brand and have a listen to their amplifier range. I currently own a 851D DAC / preamp (replaced my M-DAC) and I have owned a 840E preamp. I'm very pleased with the quality of both products and love the sound they produce. Thumbs up.

I could never understand why the 8000A was so popular back in the day, I bought a used one in the 90's seriously overrated amplifier if ever there was one. Couldn't handle low impedance speakers well without shutting down. Sound was only so, so.
Don't know about the more recent gear.

I had the MDAC and 8200mb (250w monos)
Excellent sound .. especially the amp
Reliability and build quality sucks big time
Mdac had the relay issue as well as a spdif input plug that broke
One of my 8200mbs died after a few days and had to be replaced.

I could never understand why the 8000A was so popular back in the day, I bought a used one in the 90's seriously overrated amplifier if ever there was one. Couldn't handle low impedance speakers well without shutting down. Sound was only so, so.
Don't know about the more recent gear.

Me neither - I had the matching pre/power amps back in the 90's. I too found them mediocre and I didn't keep them long.

More recently I tried out an Audiolab DAC but again found it not particularly impressive.

I have quite a lot of Audiolab kit...

2*8000Ms (late UK), an 8000Q (early Chinese), both serviced and upgraded by Audio Cellar, bought second hand

An upgraded and repaired (bulging caps), by John Westlake, MDAC L2 toy

I'm very happy with the upgraded kit, but I'd be skeptical about buying any new Chinese gear, there would appear to be some component quality issues...certainly with my MDAC anyway

Indeed, I had a bit of a classic early 90s setup, Arcam Alpha, Audiolab 8000A and Epos 11s, and it was ace! All the bits are still with me - my son uses the Epos 11s, then alpha is doing duties on the third house hifi, and the 8000A is a long term loan to a friend (his same era nad failed).

I'd certainly look at their new range - looks quite snazzy to me

I've got one of the very last 8000S integrated amps, UK made F serial number. Purchased new nearly 20 years ago and currently performing daily duties in the kitchen. Fantastic amp with great sound, build quality and reliability. I think not long after this, it all went downhill for Audiolab...

I always thought it strange when Linn seemed to copy the styling for their intek integrated, another duffer of an amp.

I so wanted an 8000a back in the '80s. Put a Naim Nait 1 up against it at the dealer's dem room. Nait 1 was miles better to my ears. Night and day better. Went home with the Nait.

I have and use regularly the 8000A, just what I need, loads of inputs !
Regularly use the following...Arcam Alpha 7 se cd, Sony MDS JB940, Akai 4000DS mk II, Teac A-3340S, Nakamichi LX7, Audiolab 8000T tuner.
Speakers are TDL RTL 3s.
Sounds fine to me, does what it says on the tin.

Had an 8000a Amp from new (about 1994) - used it 20 years, and it still works - although now in storage. I am amazed at how much they fetch nowadays. If the missus knew the value I would be forced to sell...

I think the simple answer is have a listen to one, preferably in your listening room with its intended partners. Tastes vary as do listening conditions. I personally found the old A series to be very dull to the point of "worst in class". However, they sold well so sufficient people liked them.

advertisement

Back