advertisement

Audiolab DC blocker

RoA

pfm Member
I've ordered one ... so you don't have to. -

https://www.audiolab.co.uk/dc-block/

Now, I do not have mains problems, at least not that I am aware of but I wonder if this could bring any audible benefits, even a minor one.

No idea but the box looks well made, is under a ton and comes from a reputable manufacturer that does not normally do 'audiophile add-ons'.

I will try this on my amps and report back. If there's no difference I will tell so and back it goes.

Looking forward to your report, Roa.

I tried one recently, and tbh I'm kinda surprised how many people seem to find it brings a sonic improvement.

DC blockers are great for killing (or at least lowering) transformer hum, and I guess it's all about personal taste in sound, but all (4) DC blockers I tried so far had a negative effect on the sound. ("suckin the life out of the music", making the music sound dull, less dynamic) :(

The last 2 days I also had the chance to try the little Ifi DC-blocker. Although it seemed at a slighty lesser degree, it also had the same (to me) negative effect on the sound. So,..I'm completely done with DC-blockers.

I've got one too. I think it had no negative impact on the sound, but also I don't think it was really needed in my case so I should really sell it on. £80 delivered anyone (silver)?

I had one and it killed all that Naim transformer buzz stone dead

However....I worried it might adversely affect the sound...so I moved it on and bought a large isolation transformer

Looking forward to your report, Roa.

I tried one recently, and tbh I'm kinda surprised how many people seem to find it brings a sonic improvement.

DC blockers are great for killing (or at least lowering) transformer hum, and I guess it's all about personal taste in sound, but all (4) DC blockers I tried so far had a negative effect on the sound. ("suckin the life out of the music", making the music sound dull, less dynamic) :(

The last 2 days I also had the chance to try the little Ifi DC-blocker. Although it seemed at a slighty lesser degree, it also had the same (to me) negative effect on the sound. So,..I'm completely done with DC-blockers.

Have you tried Supras DC blocker?
If you have, did you like it or not?

I had random hum on my Naim amp without a DC blocker which was very annoying.
Then I bought the Supra.
If the DC blocker kills the dynamics or not, well I have to chose between plague or colera?

Supra claims their unit is no dynamic killer?
Don't they all manufacturers claim this, their product doesn't affect dynamic DC blocker only kills unwanted noise from amps?

Have you tried Supras DC blocker? If you have, did you like it or not?
I did Toecutter. It was my second attempt to eliminate the annoying transformer hum. I didn't like it. With the amp (Naim Nait 5si at that time) hooked up to the Supra it felt as if a large cloth was hung over the speaker cabinet, making the sound a bit veiled and treble suddenly lost its sparkle/attack. If memory serves me well the Audiolab had that to a lesser degree.
From all the 4 DC-blockers I tried I think the little Ifi was the least harmfull. (just returned it to the shop today)

Supra claims their unit is no dynamic killer?
Don't they all manufacturers claim this, their product doesn't affect dynamic DC blocker only kills unwanted noise from amps ?
Indeed, all manufacturers of DC-blockers claim that their product kills the humming (which it does very well) but most even claim that it improves the sound.
(in theory I can imagine that is would/should, but to me and in my system it did quite the opposite.

Perhaps many people prefer a more laid-back, polished sound. In that case a DC-blocker might be experienced as an improvement.

So I'm about to plug this in and have a listen later. Not much to the product (inside or out) but it is screwed together/packaged nicely and comes with the cables required. I'll give some feedback later.

20221102-144604-01.jpg

20221102-144840-01.jpg

20221102-144912-01.jpg

20221102-145047.jpg

20221102-145020-01.jpg

20221102-145047-01.jpg

5dbf15-54a5f84d3cd84995af3fca6ff60ea234-mv2.jpg

20221102-145112.jpg

Ok, here it is ... What you've all been waiting for ;)

Interesting and obviously purely subjective with no scientific credentials whatsoever.

I did not expect much ... and didn't get much.

But that is a actually a good thing in this case.

I have only plugged this in on my little Audiolab amplifier, not the others. - I can detect no negative (or positive) impact on dynamics at reasonably loud or quiet volumes. The amplifier has limited power and that may be different with something bigger.

So that's that.

But, surprisingly, focus and detail seem to have gone up half a notch. It sounds clearer but not harsher.

Am I imagining this. Possibly, no idea but I like it. No 'unsighted A/B testing. Would I be able to hear this in one of those? Maybe but it'll be far from easy.

That's that.

Am I keeping it? Maybe, it cost little and doesn't do much wrong, perhaps even a little right. - As I said previously, I don't have any known mains issues but we are moving soon and it may not be the same.

So, is this over rated, foo, pointless? I think probably not the first too, based on cost and manufacturer credentials. The last one ... depends.

I did Toecutter. It was my second attempt to eliminate the annoying transformer hum. I didn't like it. With the amp (Naim Nait 5si at that time) hooked up to the Supra it felt as if a large cloth was hung over the speaker cabinet, making the sound a bit veiled and treble suddenly lost its sparkle/attack. If memory serves me well the Audiolab had that to a lesser degree.
From all the 4 DC-blockers I tried I think the little Ifi was the least harmfull. (just returned it to the shop today)

Indeed, all manufacturers of DC-blockers claim that their product kills the humming (which it does very well) but most even claim that it improves the sound.
(in theory I can imagine that is would/should, but to me and in my system it did quite the opposite.

Perhaps many people prefer a more laid-back, polished sound. In that case a DC-blocker might be experienced as an improvement.

Thanks for your input.

Can you link the Ifi product?
What is the model?
You liked Ifi best of the 4 units, is it worth the money?
Is this a product from UK?

Regarding Supra, they claim on their swedish website their DC Killer doesn't affect dynamics, DC Blocker will tighten bass and treble for a more slim sound not messing up the sound?
They also claim the amp will stay cooler and extend the life of ring core.

I have my stereo in my bedroom, without the DC blocker I could hear the amp humming like an annoying alarm clock on random hours.
I had to buy a blocker to get my quiet sleep.

Don't understand why Naim designed their amps making noise?

Can you link the Ifi product? What is the model?

Here yo go: https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

To me it wasn't worth the money, but I think it depends on what people wish for. All the DC-blockers I tried worked flawless in killing the hum, but they also had some (to me negative) influence on the sound of the system. If it only stopped the humming and didn't change the sound it sure would be a great VFM product! Most people don't seem to notice any negative changes to the sound, so in their case I can imagine it's definitely worth the money. :)

They also claim the amp will stay cooler
I can imagine that being true. Can't comment on that regarding the Supra with the Naim amp I had, as most Naim amps already run cool.
But, ...now that you mentioned it, my Rega IO amp did seem to run slightly cooler with the ifi DC blocker connected!
(I don't have any humming issues with the Rega amp though. I was just curious if the ifi DC-blocker would have any affect on the sound)

Don't understand why Naim designed their amps making noise
Personally I don't think it's a typical Naim design fault. Any amp with a fairly large toroidal transformer is sensitive to humming.
(I had a Sonneteer Alabaster once. It sounded amazing, but... yup, you guessed it)

I have a Yamaha A-S1200 with a large toroidal transformer which was giving off a noticeable hum. I was able to demo one of these audiolabs when they we're first released. It didn't make a difference at all.
Later on I bought an ISOL-8 Mini Sub Axis which did. The hum is still there but you have to put your ear right up close to hear it
dot.jpg

I couldn't see any spec for the amount of dc it the Audiolab will filter out, I believe @sq225917 has stated before that he tried a Sjostrom DCT02 and it wasn't able to block sufficient dc, it has 3 diodes in series so should block c. 2.1V, he tried a DCT03 and that was sufficient, that has 4 diodes in series to block c.2.8V. Apologies Si if my memory is wrong. The Audiolab looks to me to have at best 2 diodes so c.1.4V? It also seems to have some simple filtering on there. Now the OP had no known issue with dc, but if you have, I would look at a Sjostrom DCT03 known to work where others don't. I have one, I don't hear any improvement in sound, nor any squashed dynamics or anything like that, just my 5 Naim transformers no longer buzz like angry hornets. YMMV.

I have an ATL DC Blocker on my system which has 3 Naim 250s, while it doesn't completely eliminate "all" the transformer hum. It has however removed the intermittent hum which could be heard from the listening position. I presume that some DC was getting on to the mains, either from some of my appliances or those of my neighbours. I haven't noticed any differences in the sound quality.

I couldn't see any spec for the amount of dc it the Audiolab will filter out, I believe @sq225917 has stated before that he tried a Sjostrom DCT02 and it wasn't able to block sufficient dc, it has 3 diodes in series so should block c. 2.1V, he tried a DCT03 and that was sufficient, that has 4 diodes in series to block c.2.8V. Apologies Si if my memory is wrong. The Audiolab looks to me to have at best 2 diodes so c.1.4V? It also seems to have some simple filtering on there. Now the OP had no known issue with dc, but if you have, I would look at a Sjostrom DCT03 known to work where others don't. I have one, I don't hear any improvement in sound, nor any squashed dynamics or anything like that, just my 5 Naim transformers no longer buzz like angry hornets. YMMV.

I built a Sjostrom DCT03 with 2 aditional outlet filters, not that I had a problem with DC, just because I like building stuff .
I didnt have a problem with DC on my mains so as expected I didnt hear and difference
A friend of mine has a system which he suspected was affected by DC on the mains so I let him try my DCT03 with an outlet to a 6 way Olson mains block, he reported back that it has a significant effect on his system so I sold it to him and he is still using it, so in the right circumstances they can be quite effective

DCT03-3 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
DCT03-4 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
DCT03-5 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
DCT03-6 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Here yo go: https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

To me it wasn't worth the money, but I think it depends on what people wish for. All the DC-blockers I tried worked flawless in killing the hum, but they also had some (to me negative) influence on the sound of the system. If it only stopped the humming and didn't change the sound it sure would be a great VFM product! Most people don't seem to notice any negative changes to the sound, so in their case I can imagine it's definitely worth the money. :)

Cute little bugger :)
This product had minimum least impact on dynamics compared to the other DC blockers?

How much does it cost?
Must be a UK product?

What shop have the IFI for best price?

Ok, here it is ... What you've all been waiting for ;)

Interesting and obviously purely subjective with no scientific credentials whatsoever.

I did not expect much ... and didn't get much.

But that is a actually a good thing in this case.

I have only plugged this in on my little Audiolab amplifier, not the others. - I can detect no negative (or positive) impact on dynamics at reasonably loud or quiet volumes. The amplifier has limited power and that may be different with something bigger.

So that's that.

But, surprisingly, focus and detail seem to have gone up half a notch. It sounds clearer but not harsher.

Am I imagining this. Possibly, no idea but I like it. No 'unsighted A/B testing. Would I be able to hear this in one of those? Maybe but it'll be far from easy.

That's that.

Am I keeping it? Maybe, it cost little and doesn't do much wrong, perhaps even a little right. - As I said previously, I don't have any known mains issues but we are moving soon and it may not be the same.

So, is this over rated, foo, pointless? I think probably not the first too, based on cost and manufacturer credentials. The last one ... depends.

Thanks for the review. I've had this sitting in my wishlist for quite a while, pondering over whether to try it. No mains hum here either, but thought it worth a go for the price. Not sure you've swayed me either way though! Will keep it on the list a while longer.

Reactions: RoA
I’m sorry but whatever it costs I can’t see the point if you don’t have an issue to solve. Money spent, however little, more connections, more stuff, potential degradation. Why bother?

advertisement

Back