advertisement

Audiolab 8200cdq vs 8200ap music quality

offdigital

If I change an Audiolab 8200CDQ out for a 8200AP, would I notice a drop in quality for music?

I'm trying to adapt my system for AV without compromising musical performance. I'm very happy with the Audiolab 8200CDQ + 8200P combination.

Thanks,

offdigital

If I change an Audiolab 8200CDQ out for a 8200AP, would I notice a drop in quality for music?

I'm trying to adapt my system for AV without compromising musical performance. I'm very happy with the Audiolab 8200CDQ + 8200P combination.

Thanks,

offdigital

Like you my priority is my HiFi/Stereo sound, but it's nice to have a bit of cinema capability too...and the CDQ will beat the AP for stereo SQ IMHO :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your CDQ has analogue inputs, which simplifies things a great deal. (I have an MDAC for digital duties, and an 8000Q for analogue duties, and a switch between them and the power amps, 2 * 8000Ps).

I use an old Yamaha DSP E800, which is quite unique in that it provides a decoder, rear/centre/and sub amps, along with a line level out which goes into my Q, in your case the CDQ (just ballance it off at 12 o'clock and away you go). I've actually blocked off my centre at the Yamaha, which then passes the centre along with the L & R to my main stereo, with the Yamaha feeding my sub and rear L&R speakers...so I'm really running 4.1, but the front 3 channels through my main stereo sound terrific, I did have a centre speaker but using it this way is much better, particularly for music DVDs etc.

Most current AV amps will provide a line out for any of the channels so you can easily replicate/improve on my config.

Even with the old Yamaha (I've seen S/H ones for about £40) the audio in my home cinema system outstrips the video, and I'm using a good quality HD projector.

Thanks WAD62, interesting thought.

I'm going to keep looking at the AP though, as I'd like to keep the number of components low.
(I'm also keen to have RS232 control over everything. Which is another reason to replace the CDQ)

Thanks WAD62, interesting thought.

I'm going to keep looking at the AP though, as I'd like to keep the number of components low.
(I'm also keen to have RS232 control over everything. Which is another reason to replace the CDQ)

I've had my MDAC upgraded by John Westlake, who also designed the CDQ, I recall someone asking a similar question of him on one of the many MDAC threads, and his view was that the both the CDQ & MDAC are significantly better for stereo than the AP...although I've not tried one myself ;)

Interesting.

I might go back to my original plan: forget surround sound and try to get proper control of the 8200CDQ.
(It's certainly possible to do /something/ through its USB port...)

Thanks

If you're lucky JW may spot this thread, he's always very helpful about his products, and may have some more specific CDQ advice for you...good luck!

I can not comment on the CDQ but i have 8200AP partnered with 8200CD & MBs which i am happy with for stereo duties, i believe all the inputs on the 8200AP are truly analogue unlike the 8000AP, which only the 5.1 bypass were truly analogue.

I changed from a 8000AP and found the 8200AP to be more musical and smoother, if you do try the AP it would be good to hear your thoughts on how the CDQ & AP compare :)

advertisement

Back