advertisement

Audiolab 8200CDQ DAC Issue

John..I opened an issue with Apple. They sent a program to run during the issue to gather doc. Not sure were it will go. I'll post to this thread any info I get back. I'm sure it will be finger pointing. Jason

If John / Dominik can demonstrate with their USB analyzer that the Mac is issuing corrupt data, that would be that...you might think.

Yes, that's what we would like to do - however Dominik and USB BUS analyzer are in China and we don't have a machine thats known to cause the issue.

John

April Music Stello U3 192/24 bit USB link converter installed and no drops or pops and at 196kHZ.

Apple has yet to get back with me on the USB issue. Said it could be as much as 4 days after the Apple engineers review. So, its gotten pass their 2nd level tech's.

Jason

No word from Apple yet. Too many IPAD 3 probs maybe? Kidding
JohnW
Did Apple contact you by any chance?
Jason

John
Apple called today and want me to take CDQ to Apple store and see if it reproduces there. Opinion?
Jason

John
Apple called today and want me to take CDQ to Apple store and see if it reproduces there. Opinion?
Jason

Well it cannot hurt, but I don't expect anything useful to come form the trip unless they have a engineer with a USB Bus anaylser... and we can guess they will not!

It obvious they don't understand the issue at hand...

Better maybe to ask them to contact us directly - I'll forward our Email address via PM...

John

I'm experiencing the same problem with my 8200DQ playing 96kHz files, getting the digital error message.

I'm using a 2010 MacBook Pro without a thunderbolt connection, so it appears to be affecting more than just the new Macs.

John
Were you able to open a Apple bug report? http://bugreport.apple.com
Jason

Hi Jason,

To stop us being shot down in flames at the first gate by Apple, we will need to present Apple with a concise report with fully documented evidence or we will get nowhere.

We would be happy to do this, but we DON'T have an Apple unit that has the issue.

There is no point in us purchasing a unit as it is not guaranteed to have the issue.

We have a Older MACbook Air (First Gen) and a MACbook Pro - neither have the issue.

If you where prepared to send you unit to Czech Rep. then I can forward to China (Hand carry on my next trip) - you cannot send directly to China, we would be happy to fight the issue for you with Apple - but we need the troublesome hardware.

The problem for you would be shipping costs, and the timescales involved that we would have your unit (its not going to be quick).

Of course, at the end of the day, there's no guarantee that Apple will (can) resolve the issue even if we jump though the hoops.

John

I guess it's UNCLE on this issue since I can't get ownership by parties.

Jason

UNCLE?

idiom:

Cry (or say) uncle Informal.

To indicate a willingness to give up a fight or surrender: tickled my brother until he cried uncle.

We would be happy to help out and take the case forward with Apple, but we would need your Mac to reproduce the issue... (As I mentioned earlier, non of the MAC's we have access too display the issue).

John

Are there any updates on this issue?
I have a 2010 Mac mini 2.4 connected to 8200cdq via usb, playing flac files through Amarra Mini. Everything works great.
I also have a 2011 i7 Mac mini which I'm not connecting due to Lion issues with player like Amarra etc.
I read somewhere (Don't remember but I think computeraudiophile boars) that the issues of usb/computer audio/dac will be resolved in the upcoming Mountain Lion OS

Are there any updates on this issue?
I have a 2010 Mac mini 2.4 connected to 8200cdq via usb, playing flac files through Amarra Mini. Everything works great.
I also have a 2011 i7 Mac mini which I'm not connecting due to Lion issues with player like Amarra etc.
I read somewhere (Don't remember but I think computeraudiophile boars) that the issues of usb/computer audio/dac will be resolved in the upcoming Mountain Lion OS

Sadly not, we don't have access to a problematic MAC to analyse whats going to be able to write a report to Apple...

Thank you Mr. W,

1. For a fast reply!

2. And thank you for creating such a great piece of equipment.

System:
Mac mini '10, 8gb + SSD, OS SL 10.6.8 (clean install + custom config. running 64bit + used as a dedicated music player ) + Amarra Mini. Running headless from MBP + Music stored on external HDD @ Firewire. Mains cable Nordost Purple flare + Systems & Magic Mini Black power conditioner.

Audiolab 8200cdq Silver (Oyaide cables (Tunami GPX, Tunami Terzo XX, Cont. 5 USB silver)), Fuse from AMR, Resting on vibrapods @ Solidsteel 6.4

Audiolab 8000PPA Silver

TT Technics 1210mk2 (untouched)

Parasound A21

B&W 603s3