advertisement

Audiolab 8200CD/V12E digital volume vs. 8200CDQ/V12E

mmw

Hi,

I want to use the 8200CD/V12E as a stand alone CD player directly plugged to my power amp and use the adjustable volume option of the 8200CD/V12E. My question is: assuming I only use CDs and I won´t use the analog preamplifier or any digital or analog input that the 8200CDQ/V12E provides would I obtain the same sound quality of the CDQ/V12E using the adjustable volume of the CD/V12E ?
I mean, is the digital preamplifier section in the CD/V12E exactly the same as in the CDQ/V12E when using both just a stand alone CD player?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jose

Jose,

Yes exactly the same - but if you don't use the extra Analogue inputs of the CDQ, why replace the CD with CDQ?

Jose,

Yes exactly the same - but if you don't use the extra Analogue inputs of the CDQ, why replace the CD with CDQ?

Thanks John!

I'd replace the CD with the CDQ only in the case digital preamplifier of the CDQ were better sounding of both but I thought the digital preamplifier section were the same so here why I asked. Just to be positivetely sure no sound quality improvements were expected to be obtained replacing CD with CDQ cause (if I understand you right) for stand alone cd use (with adjustable volume engaged) the circuits involved are the same( i.e. Digital pre, Psu, regulated supplies, etc).

Thanks again!!

I have around 25 hours of burnin in my new 8200CD and I'm totally shocked how GREAT this player sounds! BTW I have felt the sound opens up and become more fluid, precise, organic and transparent with some hours of break in on it. Right now with 25 hours it sounds waaaay better than straight from the box. Maybe one of the most evident and absolutely non placebo burnin in changes I've experienced in my audiophile journey through the years.
To put in perspective my last CD was a Marantz SA11-S1 and the Audiolab simply destroys the marantz sonically speaking.
A truly giant killer player the 8200CD.
My respect for your design Mr. Westlake

I have around 25 hours of burnin in my new 8200CD and I'm totally shocked how GREAT this player sounds! BTW I have felt the sound opens up and become more fluid, precise, organic and transparent with some hours of break in on it. Right now with 25 hours it sounds waaaay better than straight from the box. Maybe one of the most evident and absolutely non placebo burnin in changes I've experienced in my audiophile journey through the years.
To put in perspective my last CD was a Marantz SA11-S1 and the Audiolab simply destroys the marantz sonically speaking.
A truly giant killer player the 8200CD.
My respect for your design Mr. Westlake

Yes - I'm not very proud about the burn-in effect, but non the less they are very real!!! - the most noticeable effect happens within the first 48 hours - within a week it should have "completely" settled down :)

Thank you :)

Hi again John.

I've noticed that the sound becomes less "open" and "expressive" with digital volume lower than around -30. Have this any sense for you or it's just some issue with my system?

Thanks!!

Hi again John.

I've noticed that the sound becomes less "open" and "expressive" with digital volume lower than around -30. Have this any sense for you or it's just some issue with my system?

Thanks!!

Yes I'd expect this effect (Sadly) - on the MDAC thread we are discussing attenuators ATM - its still up in the air until we build attenuators with Vishay resistors which is the "better' solution...

Hi again John.

When I've checked the software version of my 8200CD/V12E I've seen that my unit has:
-Control software Version 2.0C
-Servo software Version 88
-Mainboard software Version 1.6B
Another option I've seen in this menu it's "upgrade software press play to proceed"

Just a few questions. This last option means the 8200CD it's now customer upgradeable?
What are the differences between the last firmware 1.1 and this 1.6B firmware?

Thanks!!

The 8200CD is not customer upgradable - in fact you will "brick" your unit if you hold the buttons down for the 20 Second countdown.

The software you have is the latest release software built to function with the OLED screen - earlier software version has fewer filters + designed to drive the LCD display.

With the later software builds we also "secretly" sneaked in the "Volume Control" option on the 8200CD.

Just a last question. Is the PSU in the 8200CD/V12E the very same as in the CDQ? I mean, has the same "upgraded capacitors" compared to the original version of 8200CD that in the past made the CDQ the best sounding of both units? If so, can I expect exactly the same SQ as CD stand alone player from both players? (CD/V12E and CDQ/V12E)

By the way my unit just sound SUPERB with around 70 hours on it! And one thing i didn't expect (after reading some complaints in the web) it's the absolutely precise and totally quiet operation of the CD mechanism. Maybe the most silent (when playing I mean) of any player I've had ever at home. No mechanical sound detected with the ear at two inches of the player and changing tracks were always very quick and precise.

Over the past couple of years, both the CD and CDQ use the same components. As you have a OLED version your almost guaranteed to have "newer" build unit. :)

Thanks John!

It's an incredible value to have the very same designer available to answer some questions about his design.
Very impressed about your design and your kindness answering my newbie questions!

Thanks again!

Thank you, I'm very pleased your happy with your unit :) its great to have feedback directly from owners of our design :)

Just sharing, I'm another very happy user of 8200CD Oled driving 2 units of 8200P using the digital pre-amp which IMO is better than the 8200A which I used earlier :)

BTW, will it be a new & improved CD player coming from Audiolab shortly John?

Yes I'd expect this effect (Sadly) - on the MDAC thread we are discussing attenuators ATM - its still up in the air until we build attenuators with Vishay resistors which is the "better' solution...

Hi again John.

I'm going to try some attenuators at the input of my amp. I've read somewhere that the optimal setting to use all the potential of the ESS in the 8200CD it's to use as close as possible to the +3dB level to ensure "direct output voltage swing without any digital attenuation" from the converter stage. Is this true or it's the 0dB output the "optimal" output from the DAC (all this assuming sensitivity of the power amp it's controlled and not an issue).

Thanks!!

hello john, I recently changed my hifi, and the heart of the system is a AudioLab 8200 v12 cd that I use as dac (which has outperformed my old meridian g06) connected to a brand new luxman 505ux in balanced, here is the my question, the AudioLab is totally balanced, right? The luxman apparently still is not, it would seem that the signal is converted to unbalanced immediately after XLR input .... In light of this consideration, however, you would prefer to use the connection balanced? Unfortunately I was not able to do many tests, partly because I do not have the same cable balanced-unbalanced.
I have read many upgrades made ​​to the small mdac (mdac2), there is something in the program for 8200cd?
  Thank you very much for your attention and congratulations for the great products that you have created .....

advertisement

Back