advertisement

Paul Wiles

My 1st Gen CDQ has stopped outputting audio :(, it had an intermittent issue where it would not turn on occasionally, had to turn off then on again then at the weekend no audio at all.

I have seen a couple of threads about capacitor issues and mine has a couple of bulging caps, I assume that may be the issue, although the obvious one appears to be on one of the channels not in the supply ?

Any ideas how much it would cost to have the caps replaced/upgraded, if I am honest I have simplified the system a bit and not unhappy with it so not sure what to do, if it going to be an expensive repair then may leave it.

The Audiolab repair centre in the UK used to perform upgrades which involved changing the transformer, a board, display and possibly a few other bits. Parts and labour for that work cost £100.

I cant imagine it would be anymore than that to fix the problem with yours. Give them a call, I imagine its still a supported product.

The Audiolab repair centre in the UK used to perform upgrades which involved changing the transformer, a board, display and possibly a few other bits. Parts and labour for that work cost £100.

I cant imagine it would be anymore than that to fix the problem with yours. Give them a call, I imagine its still a supported product.

I have mailed and asked if they still do the upgrade and an idea about the service.

What is it with Audiolab and bulging caps? Should not be having issues like this with fairly recent gear.

let us know if they are at work at the moment. where are the bulging caps? that large bank at the front right near the heat sink?

Sorry for delay in responding did not get a notification of responses,

The Good news, Talked to a really helpful Guy in service, repairs run at £55 for labour fixed price plus the spares plus VAT etc, But they do still do the upgrades which Cost £186 plus vat etc if I did the upgrade (Power Supply, Display, Software) they would repair anything else that needed doing at the same time no extra cost. I went for that option unfortunately they have only skeleton staff so may have to wait a while.

Got the mail today all done so it will hopefully be back with me soon, still waiting to hear what the other issues were but it will have been fixed as its all tested and calibrated as part of upgrade :).

I did an enquiry as to what else was fixed and replaced, Power supply, capacitors, CD mechanism so with the upgrades I am hoping the unit I get back should be better than new :).

Oh sounds like my original issue of no audio was an on board fuse LoL. I could not see any fuses but did not look that hard.

Unit returned and reinstalled, Oh my I have missed it, I had my AV amp doing audio duties while it was out of action and I had convinced myself it sounded pretty good, The reworked unit is Sooooooooo much better than the AV kit so I really was fooling myself or the refurb is significant improvement ? I can not for the life of me remember which filter mode I had it set on before but sticking to the Optical Transient ones.

Happy Camper and as a bonus I can actually read the display lol.

Hi,
Just thought I would give a shout out for Audiolab Service. I dealt with Steve Hughes who was a great guy and very knowledgeable.

I had the Disc reading problem and also thought I had a channel unbalance. Sent it to Steve and he said when he opened it up it smelt like cat pee as the Capacitors had leaked !!!

Anyway they replaced the CD mechanism and all the Caps for about the same price. For a £1000 unit £170 for another 5 years or so is well worth it. Sounds as good as ever and enjoying my music.

They also serviced my 8200P power amp and calibrated the bias etc.

Great service from Audiolab

advertisement

Back