advertisement

Audiolab 8000C/Q and 8000P

paullewis323

Hi guys

Long time since I have been on, sorry

I do not have enough quality posts to post in the wanted/sale section

I am seeking black late model 8000C/Q and 8000P and am struggling to find them

Does anyone have any recommendations / pointers?

Regards

Paul

I think i saw one or 2 on Ebay. I have the chinese built 8000Q and 8000M's and they are pefectly ok - I think they were direct copies, the first items that IAG Chinese Audiolab made so no departure from Audiolab UK. Have you considered the TAG Mclaren equivalents - PA10 and 60P I think they are called ( I also have a pair of them, much better made than Audiolab 8000's No tone control though but does have phono) The Tag were slightly darker voiced than the Audiolab

Don't forget UK-made versions for German market, branded Camtech - if you can source one:
8000Q is named Camtech VorVerstarker (everyone has 3rd pre output with XLR connectors)
8000C is Camtech C101 (there are some of these with balanced outputs), and
8000P is Camtech P101.

Camtech clearly derives from Cambridge Systems Technology.

Why the name change for the German market?

Many years ago (mid 1990s) I upgraded blind (based on audio magazine reviews) from an 8000C to an 8000Q. I think it lasted 6 weeks before I dumped it - lesson learnt. Dull, thin, dark, uninspiring and just bland - it may have been better hi-fi but it was no fun to listen to.

That sounds nothing like the CST built 8000Q I had, one of my all time favourite components.

The very last of the 8000C's were very good, but the Q scores on functionality with the remote and variable gain features, and a slight SQ advantage over the late C.

Both are a better listen than the 8000P.

Yes. I bought the 8000Q assuming I was getting an 8000C with remote control. It sounded very different.

The 8000PPA was an excellent device though. I still have one and an original 8000T.

I've owned quite a few of the 8000 series, my favourites being the Q and the CDM.

The tuner is legendary.

Not so enamoured of the P and the DAC.

advertisement

Back