advertisement

Audiolab 8000C faulty relay

vinyl_junkie

pfm Member
Hey hey every one, I recently brought a early grey Audiolab 8000C pre-amp to go with my 8000P power amp but it has a few annoying issues.

First up the relay which switches the output on/off needs replacing. It's a National (Panasonic) nf4-4m-24v / NF4EB-4M-24V but I can't seem to find any one any where.
Any one know what other compatible relay I can stick in it?

Also if I place the power amp on top of the pre I get hum on the speaker output, is this normal? Obviously interference from the mains transformer of the power amp but can I some how better shield the pre-amp?
Other wise I just have to move the pre some where else

Cheers!

Thanks Geof, Kevin was one of the first people I tried but he doesn't always seem to reply to his emails or just avoiding some questions.

He replied to my first email with a rough quote to service the pre but then did not reply to any further questions I asked.

I've moved the pre away from the power amp which solves the main hum issue as for the relay I can live with it for a bit more.
Not sure if I should just get a better pre/later newer version even though I don't find anything wrong with it's sound or service it

Are your C and P the same age?
My 8000P is a B serial which has an earth connection. It can be susceptible to hum with some pre amps. Later ones had no mains earth connection and apparently were less sensitive.
Mine hummed when using an 8000A as a pre. It was silent when using an AV32R and now my current Nakamichi CA-5Eii.

Yea they are both early grey versions with an actual earth although I'm not sure what the serial number is for the pre as the paper label has been peeled off and some one scrawled some initials on the metal where the serial should be.

Moving the pre away from the amp pretty much solved most if not all the hum issues.

1495514_10154802065645182_63418319143273818_n.jpg

Kevin said there were 6 different revisions of the 8000C board.

Don't have a pic uploaded to hand but mine both pretty much look like this, with those orange/yellow'ish Elna caps in the pre

dsc00516.jpg

advertisement

Back