advertisement

Audio Technica stylus cleaner

Mikee

pfm Member
Planning to use this cleaner again, after being half lost for many years. It's the vibrating one. I've just bought some AT cleaning fluid to go on the vibrating bristles. Does anyone else still use one? Does the stylus just sit on the bristles, or should the brush be pulled along the stylus from back to front? Mike

I place it on the platter, start it, lower the stylus on to it for a few seconds, raise the stylus and lower it on to a different place and repeat that a few times.

Meant to add - don't forget to make sure the volume is at 0 or select a different source:)

Yes, as above. If you use the liquid make it a tiny dot and touch it briefly so it soaks in rather than sitting like a drop on the surface. Also, I would leave the stylus on the pad for a minute rather than a few seconds. Oh, if you use it on a platter without a mat put a business card under it or it will vibrate all over the place.

Have never used liquid on mine, but the above advice is very sensible. I lower for about 30 seconds each in two places, but I don't think the time on the pad matters too much, within reason.

If using a hollow (probably ally) cantilever, be very sparing of the fluid; solid boron should be more impervious to capillary action.

Do ensure that the battery has plenty of life in it, though.

Do NOT drag it over the stylus.

The method is either to lower the stylus onto a stationary cleaner, or hand-hold the cleaner and very gingerly bring it up to the stylus from underneath. The arm should be free to move, not clipped into the arm rest.

The stylus should sit in one place on the pad whilst the pad vibrates.

I've had mine since the early '80s, though I dropped it a few weeks after buying it breaking the clip-on plastic cover so it has lived without one for about 35 years! Still works a treat and the batteries last pretty much forever.

Another user here.
I seem to remember the cleaning time being 10 to 15 seconds....in fact here's an extract from the user manual.

I've had mine since the early '80s, though I dropped it a few weeks after buying it breaking the clip-on plastic cover so it has lived without one for about 35 years! Still works a treat and the batteries last pretty much forever.

Aye, still have mine. Useful bit of kit.

Yup, the plastic cover on mine broke years ago but the unit works great still. Probably a market for someone else to introduce a similar device!

When I bought mine I was advised by the dealer to throw the little bottle of cleaning fluid away and to always use it dry. It's still in regular use and working very well 25 years later. The only minor issue, as has been mentioned, is when using it on a platter without a felt mat. I ended up sticking a couple of thin rubber pads to the bottom of mine to stop it sliding around on my SME Model 20 platter...

$150, and advertising bs which is complete bollox (went out of favour because the oscillator had a higher frequency than anything on a record and it could cause damage).
I'll stick to my old one.

Some firms are milking the LP renaissance outrageously IMO. No, most firms are, turntables, arms and cartridges have unjustifyably high prices nowadays.
A Garrard 401 was £72 in the mid 70s. A SME arm was £24 in 1971. Higher prices could be justified on a production volume basis 10 years ago, but not now. Analogue is a fashion business.

A great device. I bought mine in the 80s (IIRC) and I can't recall ever changing the battery. Sometimes I'll also put a tiny drop of fluid on the pad.

I've had mine for around 30 years and it's still going strong. You can also tune an orchestra with mine as it vibrates, pretty much exactly, at 440kHz.

I bought a NOS version for a few euros , made by a firm I have never heard of before or since called Audio Protec, on ebay here in France. The blurb on the outside of the box is in French & the instructions inside in English; it takes a 9V battery (I think the Audio Technica model takes different batteries from memory).

They recommend 5 - 20 secs. Personally I always use it dry.

Julian

I've had mine for around 30 years and it's still going strong. You can also tune an orchestra with mine as it vibrates, pretty much exactly, at 440kHz.

Ha! Odd though as mine is a slightly sharp G4 (393.xxHz) according to Cleartune on my iPhone. I stuck a new battery in it yesterday too as this thread prompted me to have a look and the one in there, whilst working fine, was five years past its sell by date so I binned it in case it leaked.

Great advice, I'll give it a go. Hope mine's not flat! Using it by the way on an Audio Note TT2, Arm 3 and IQ3.

Had one for a long time, use it on my Linn Karma but use a regular brush and the green paper on my Dynavector XXII, it always looks too fragile to put on the AT cleaner.

advertisement

Back