advertisement

Audio Technica ART9 cartridge

This should be no surprise; Audio Technica make fantastic cartridges and this is the best in their range. Often, we are persuaded that smaller manufacturers make better, more desirable products when, in fact, they simply are more rare.

I would put my ART1 against any high end cartridge available today in a compatible arm; I have yet to hear better.

Are you still running an ART1?!

I recently bought an ART-9 un-heard - to replace a Klyde in a sondek and ittok. There's no point trying to compare it to the Klyde but then the K was quite old. I did first listen to Koetsus (Black, Red Signature and a VDH) - they all sounded way better than the Klyde. The ART-9 is still running in but as someone said "you seem not to pay any attention to the cartridge" - and I identify with this - but I do find myself saying "I'd not noticed that before". It's a very easy cartridge to listen to and I have no regrets.

Does AT publish any data on the distance between the centre line of mounting screws to the stylus tip. I can't seem to find any. The Aro, which I use, requires this distance to be 7-10 mm.

PS: I did find an owner's manual for the OC9/III on-line which appears to show the distance to be 9.3 mm. Kind of suspect the ART9 has the same dimensions but don't know for sure.

Does AT publish any data on the distance between the centre line of mounting screws to the stylus tip. I can't seem to find any. The Aro, which I use, requires this distance to be 7-10 mm.

PS: I did find an owner's manual for the OC9/III on-line which appears to show the distance to be 9.3 mm. Kind of suspect the ART9 has the same dimensions but don't know for sure.

I was not able to find this info on the net. Unfortunately AT only provides the measurements in the cart manual. For the Art9, the distance is 11mm not 9mm as is the case with the AT33PTG and the 33EV. I found out after getting the Art9 for my ARO. Haven't tried it, it may still work though (I hope...).

..the file I downloaded doesn't make any sense to me & seems not even remotely connected to the Art9..?

Thanks for your efforts PANI. I wrote AT and they provided this helpful diagram of the ART 9:

23335012680_24c66c8a0a.jpg

It would appear that the ART9 is just outside Naim's recommendation of 7-10mm. I wonder how big a difference a millimeter makes? I've read there are ways to make modest adjustments by repositioning the Aro in the arm board (there's apparently some wiggle room there). I fear I'm not talented enough to do that--usually I cause more harm than good when I start fiddling.

I really haven't decided what to do with mine - try it out or sell it (bearing in mind that I can probably sell it at full price if it is unused). I was a bit crestfallen when I saw the measurements. I certainly wouldn't have chanced it if I knew and had wanted to get the 33PTG/II in the first place.

Perhaps the slight difference is inconsequential given that with the fixed bolt points of the ARO, the overhang is always slightly off for all carts other than those with a certain bolt-to-stylus distance!

Given that there is some "slop" in mounting arm board cut out for the Aro, it is allegedly possible to play with this a little to make small changes in stylus alignment. But one thing I've been wondering about (admittedly this likely falls into the category of wishful thinking) is that my arm might have been installed all along in a way that makes the ART9 a perfect fit! I suppose maybe I could test this out somehow if I knew the precise measurements of cartridges I have on hand right now.

The LP12 Aro arm boards I came across didn't have any 'slop' adjustment and I suspect this aspect is being a bit confused with the ability to rotate the entire armboard a small amount relative to the chassis. This is due to (intentionally) slightly oversize armboard mounting holes in the chassis and refers to laminate armboard and Cirkus chassis.

Altering the stylus tip to mounting point distance effectively alters the overhang. Assuming that the cartridge is not rotated in the headshell (which the fixed mounting of the cartridge prevents in the Aro) then you effectively move the relative position of the two tracking null points. These points still exist but are now at different positions on the record. Given that the 'traditional' position of this points varies with differing 'recommended' setup regimes then the null positions is a relatively fluid option. I'm slightly oversimplifying and there are limits - got to go.

...you effectively move the relative position of the two tracking null points. These points still exist...

Do they, or do you kick them out of the ballpark?

Oversimplifying, or perhaps completely missing the point, but changing overhang (18-21mm), while maintaining 211mm mounting distance and 24° offset angle (from my understanding offset angle would also change slightly, though - as I said, oversimplifying):

calculator_pro_plot.png

Source.

Another example

Effect of changing the tonearm mounting distance with 2mm bigger overhang, compared to 211mm/18mm. Again, not taking into account the effectively changed offset angle (perhaps even something else, changing mounting distance would probably also result in slightly changed overhang):

calculator_pro_plot_18_20_211_215.png

As I said, I may be missing the point completely. I am not making any statements, but actually asking questions. Surely I got the details wrong, but the general trend must be right?

Source.

advertisement

Back