advertisement

Audio Research in Recievership

I had an LS2 at least 15 years ago . Loved the look and feel of the thing. In the last few days was thinking of pressing button on a second hand ph8 . Then I remembered horror stories around repair and thought better of it. Then I saw this .

future hifi - vinyl might save it but when a mid range box cost more than huge telly ….

This is not good to read. I hope my Ref 40 preamp holds up, it could be challenging to repair. It's a fantastic-sounding amp and would be hard to replace. If you were thinking of spending up on a nice preamp ARC was always a safe bet, the brand has been around for so long.

It's a sad story, which has nothing to do with the performance of their product, just greed from some of the recent owners.

As to reliability, I've owned an ARC tube preamp (LS15) and power amp (VT100 upgraded to MKII) for 25 years without any issue and can't complain with the service provided when I had to have my units converted from 110V to 240V.

They are not the company they were 30yrs ago

It’s been said before, but that’s also the age of much of the best kit - it’s where I look. A grand or two and a service can get you some truly amazing gear…

We provide fully integrated services in different high-end luxury audio segments. Fine Sounds has a distinct track record as an exclusive Market Expansion Services provider for selected luxury and lifestyle audio brands in various market segments.

This is what reads on the webpage of Fine Sounds. To me - I am almost 70, goddammit - it simply sounds like - and smells like - marketing crap and 'let's suck the money out of it then sell the remains'.

It's a sad story, which has nothing to do with the performance of their product, just greed from some of the recent owners.

As to reliability, I've owned an ARC tube preamp (LS15) and power amp (VT100 upgraded to MKII) for 25 years without any issue and can't complain with the service provided when I had to have my units converted from 110V to 240V.
oooh bet that sounds great . Is that the 2 box one ? I recall seeing one in for repair when i took my valve amp in a while back .( not a/s)

Then there are the companies who don't innovate any more but survive by selling established kit (and servicing) because their designer/creator is no longer with them. N.A. and E.A.R. come to mind here but there must be others (British, that is). There is and has been much very good American kit but by the time you factor in currency exchange, shipping, import taxes and agents, it tends to be pricey compared to any home-grown or (until recently) European stuff.

However, Japanese stuff must be subjected to similar loadings. I can vaguely remember when the £ was much stronger against the $ and yen (and much else) but I also remember when VAT was 12.5%. Different world back then.;)

Is that the 2 box one ? I recall seeing one in for repair when i took my valve amp in a while back

Case in point. Most people who have spent £23k on a preamp are likely quite rightfully expecting that it will be designed and built of sufficient quality to last a lifetime.

I don't care how good an item sounds - I can't hear its SQ if its in the repair shop.

Am I the only one who thinks the name is strange ? Audio yes , Research err for a retail hifi company ?

Yes the LS15 and VT100 are typical separates, and weren't even overly costly at the time (I paid $4000 for the VT100, and $2700 for the LS15, both new from an established dealer in 1997... the conversion to 240V cost me $350 five years later, including return shipping of both boxes from Minnesota to the East coast of the US). I think these days are long gone unfortunately

The first piece of ARC gear I heard was at an acquaintances who was running an SP11 with a Krell amp and Mirage M3i speakers. I was totally smitten and got a demo pairing of ARC SP9 and Classic 30. Had it for probably 8 years and no issues although the sound of an SP9 was light years from the SP11. Only needed retubing once as believe biased in Class AB.

I did find the labratory style aesthetics less than pleasing and was the only amplifier I've owned I hid from public viewing. The Classic amplifiers (30/60/120/150) still fetch surprisingly strong dollars in NA.

The latest in this saga:

I'm going to leave this right here with you all:

https://www.strata-gee.com/minn-ban...ment-against-audio-research-corp-trent-suggs/

and then there are these gems courtesy of Minnesota's State Judicial Branch

https://publicaccess.courts.state.mn.us/CaseSearch. t

type in the following case number: 27CV234399

Given the timeline outlined in the "strata-gee" piece linked above, this thread might very well be moot come May 18th, 2023. If that is indeed the case, hope you all had a swell time in this thread. No doubt there will be some new drama by then to take its place.

There is talk that two visitors were up in Minnesota as possible buyers, but given what I have posted above, the article and legal motions and affidavits filed, anyone looking to be ARC's white knight, should practice some patience, as they will, most likely, be able to pick up the company on the cheap once the full discovery has been completed and those charged investigating ARC's books determine the degree of their insolvency.

Stay tuned.

It is indeed sad news when a stalwart brand like Audio Research faces existential questions. I fondly remember reading the formidable combinations of various ARC valve preamps with Krell class A monsters in the heady 80s. Today, the market for high-end hifi is miniscule, and rapidly disappearing. I think it is a question of time before the market is extinct.

I agree wholeheartedly, James.

I think the simple version is that the competition and demand in the space went in directions that arc couldn't keep up with. Either stuff is being made in China to very high quality (generally) but is markedly cheaper, or some brands are more "boutique". Somehow McIntosh stayed relevant but arc didn't (as a third example).

I would think in order to reboot someone like primaluna or their financiers would have to buy the brand, scrap the lines, and rebuild more affordable and niche products from scratch. As hard as it is to say.

I've had all the ARC models through here since 1980 when they arrived in the UK via Absolute Sounds. I owned an SP8 in 1980, then an SP10 but preferred the SP6B which I then modified with better parts. This SP6B partnered with the super rare D79C which I also owned were the best sounding ARC products I have come across. Having said that I think there are much better circuit designs about which are far less complicated and much better sounding and significantly quieter when driving high efficiency loudspeakers.

advertisement

Back