advertisement

Audio Origami Booster Oil

Big John

pfm Member
I decided to re-lube my Michel Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference TT bearing

After a very patient (him) and helpful exchange of emails with John at Audio Origami I decided to put Audio Origami Booster oil on my Xmas list

The Results.....

Using a digital photo tachometer a Xmas present from my grandson his mum (my daughter) bought the Booster oil.

My Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference is fitted with an Origin Live DC motor The bearing is a 1/4" Silicon Nitride ball on to the original hardened steel thrust plate, with original PTFE bushes around the shaft.

Spin down time with no belt on ie. spun by hand from 34 RPM 1min. 07.3 sec to stop before changing the oil which was Syntrax 75/90 semi synthetic gear oil. There was no discernible rumble.

After the oil change to Audio Origami booster oil from 34RPM to stop 1min 57.6 sec. whilst again no discernible rumble the platter moved more easily, making fitting the belt trickier.

Speed stability of platter when belt driven measured after 4 mins warm up. with no record/stylus drag, before changing the oil 34.7-32.3 RPM over 1 min. After changing the oil to Audio Origami booster oil with 4 min warm up 33.6 RPM no drift over 3 mins measured time. The motor speed control was NOT adjusted

So far brilliant, now after an extended listening period...I have listened to a few records my observations re audio Origami Booster oil are, plucked guitar & double bass, there is more space around notes, violin are less strident in upper frequency's and clearer closer to live performance sound stage seems deeper.

Voices have better separation. siblence is less noticeable the noise floor seems lowered, the dynamic range appears extended

I have spent a lot more money to get this sort of improvement ...

Well who'd have thought that! Maybe the old oil just had decomposed or become saturated with particles.

75/90 is rather thick no? I would have thought OAs oil had much lower viscosity, hence the difference?

Is the belt old? Could it have been slipping with the thicker oil, but is not now? Some have found higher viscosity to give gains with AC motors.

Richard

75/90 is rather thick no? I would have thought OAs oil had much lower viscosity, hence the difference?

Is the belt old? Could it have been slipping with the thicker oil, but is not now? Some have found higher viscosity to give gains with AC motors.

Richard

Dowser Syntrax being a gear/rear axle oil is thinner than it sounds/reads; engine oil & gear don't use the same viscosity index. (As below) Belt a year old & supple no cracks, having looked at threads & posts on other sites not that unusual a result

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/gear_oil_evaluation.html

Well that is a nice little up grade then. Wonder what oil it is? Obviously they are not producing thier own.

advertisement

Back