advertisement

Audio Note UK - impressive at KLAV

I always seem to hear AN demoing simple music eg "girl and guitar", To my ears AN sounds a little "different", thanks to some obvious colouration and warming low order distortion. Some people like this a lot
Looking at the impedance plot in the Stereophile review of the AN-E suggests it will shift the transfer function of a typical valve amplifier in a way that is likely to even out to a some extent the presented frequency plot. This suggests it has been designed to be used with valve amplifiers rather than more linear amplifiers which is consistent with most of the comments in the thread.

Nonetheless it is still a budget design being sold at a very high price. Perhaps people that are attracted to Audio Note speakers don't see a budget design but something else?

At most shows I have been to over the years, the AN room was the one I ended up in with a sense of relief. The recent Bristol show being the exception, the first time I disliked the sound! Whatever faults AN equipment may have, it has generally sounded "real" to my ears.

Some of you may be unaware of the history of the split between Audio Note(Japan) who subsequently rebranded as Kondo KSL and Audio Note (UK) and interested to read this post by the late Hiroyasu Kondo in 2000:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=general&m=37527

Very interesting link and it confirms my own understanding of the situation. The original Japanese Audio Note, the one that built the Ongaku and other legendary amps, has nothing to do with Audio Note UK other than sharing a similar name.

Looking at the impedance plot in the Stereophile review of the AN-E suggests it will shift the transfer function of a typical valve amplifier in a way that is likely to even out to a some extent the presented frequency plot. This suggests it has been designed to be used with valve amplifiers rather than more linear amplifiers which is consistent with most of the comments in the thread.

Nonetheless it is still a budget design being sold at a very high price. Perhaps people that are attracted to Audio Note speakers don't see a budget design but something else?

As I understand the situation, PQ of Audio Note UK used to be the Snell UK distributor. When Snell stopped producing this style of speaker he started producing them himself. Perhaps interestingly, Snell no longer make speakers anything like this and it's interesting to look at how the company has evolved.

As you say, at heart, these are quite budget designs; simple two way designs with paper coned mid drivers and soft dome tweeters in a thin walled cabinet (reflex loaded). The fact that PQ has been able to get them to work when placed in the corners of a room (which is how he always demonstrates them) is very surprising as you would expect such a design to boom like hell positioned like that (particularly with a rear firing reflex port). I've heard him demonstrating them many times and the balance of compromises has been worked out really surprisingly well - as you suggest, there seems to be a somewhat symbiotic relationship with the faults of the speakers working with the faults of the amps. Surprisingly, at the recent Cranage Hall show the AN UK speakers did sound like they had a massive bass hump (surprising because they usually don't when I've heard them demonstrated) so perhaps the amps being used were more linear than is usually the case. I know PQ normally demos with very low powered amps.

I find that the most important distinction between audio note UK and Kondo, is that audio note UK produce a lot of fine sounding gear that is relatively affordable for someone like myself who is not a top 1/2 of 1 percenter.

As I understand the situation, PQ of Audio Note UK used to be the Snell UK distributor. When Snell stopped producing this style of speaker he started producing them himself. Perhaps interestingly, Snell no longer make speakers anything like this and it's interesting to look at how the company has evolved.

As you say, at heart, these are quite budget designs; simple two way designs with paper coned mid drivers and soft dome tweeters in a thin walled cabinet (reflex loaded). The fact that PQ has been able to get them to work when placed in the corners of a room (which is how he always demonstrates them) is very surprising as you would expect such a design to boom like hell positioned like that (particularly with a rear firing reflex port). I've heard him demonstrating them many times and the balance of compromises has been worked out really surprisingly well - as you suggest, there seems to be a somewhat symbiotic relationship with the faults of the speakers working with the faults of the amps. Surprisingly, at the recent Cranage Hall show the AN UK speakers did sound like they had a massive bass hump (surprising because they usually don't when I've heard them demonstrated) so perhaps the amps being used were more linear than is usually the case. I know PQ normally demos with very low powered amps.

Hi mark , I thought the same bloated/boomy comes to mind it was bad imo phil.

Yeah, bit odd really because I believe it was an all AN system. Perhaps a particularly unfortunate room interaction.

I find that the most important distinction between audio note UK and Kondo, is that audio note UK produce a lot of fine sounding gear that is relatively affordable for someone like myself who is not a top 1/2 of 1 percenter.
Can you give an example or two of what you would consider affordable Audio Note products?

none here :)
I expect that author considers most of his Audio Note products to be good value particularly if he gets a discount for writing up his experiences on the web. My interest was in what Ted as an Audio Note enthusiast saw as good value and why. No doubt my values as an engineer will be quite different to his values but that is what is interesting.

Can you give an example or two of what you would consider affordable Audio Note products?

I am referring to the retail price of the units and make no claim as to value. And am referring only to myself as the consumer, as in affordable by me.
The ANUK level zero, one, two and some of the level three gear are priced from the low to high 4 figures usd. As is the audio note kits gear. I may be mistaken but I don't believe Kondo make anything in or near that price sturcture.
I have no opinion on or any interest in the relative merits of the two companies gear.
I find value in my ANUK gear because I very much enjoy listening to it and did not go broke purchasing it. My finding value in it has nothing to do with design, materials or relative merits. I will ad that in eight years of ownership it has proven reliable.

I find value in my ANUK gear because I very much enjoy listening to it and did not go broke purchasing it. My finding value in it has nothing to do with design, materials or relative merits. I will ad that in eight years of ownership it has proven reliable.
Thanks for the reply but I am still left wondering what makes Audio Note products of more value to you than similarly priced products with a significantly higher technical performance. You say it is not to do with design, materials or relative merits but that you could afford it and enjoy listening to it. Presumably you do not enjoy listening as much to products with a higher technical performance? which would be aligned with the use of valve amplifiers. But even so doesn't paying a high price for a modest amount of hardware nag a little bit?

I can't give a good answer other than I enjoy it immensely. It isn't a tube thing as my other gear is flat earth style. Push pull tubes are not for me. Probably has something to do with the way the gear is voiced as everything I have heard from them I liked, so I'm obviously prejudiced towards it, but not sure why. Only gear I have ever heard that can sound fast and clean while simultaneously being atmospheric and romantic. Maybe that's it.

I can't give a good answer other than I enjoy it immensely. It isn't a tube thing as my other gear is flat earth style. Push pull tubes are not for me. Probably has something to do with the way the gear is voiced as everything I have heard from them I liked, so I'm obviously prejudiced towards it, but not sure why. Only gear I have ever heard that can sound fast and clean while simultaneously being atmospheric and romantic. Maybe that's it.
Thanks again for the response. Not sure I am much wiser about what some people find attractive about Audio Note products but you are clearly not alone in liking them.

HG if you asked Peter Q of Audio note as I once did at a Hifi show, 'which room do you think makes the best music' I was told to go to the Naim room. I think that says a lot about why people buy audio note. Fun musical colorful.

HG if you asked Peter Q of Audio note as I once did at a Hifi show, 'which room do you think makes the best music' I was told to go to the Naim room. I think that says a lot about why people buy audio note. Fun musical colorful.
Peter Q is a salesman for expensive goods of modest technical performance and I would treat what he had to say accordingly. I think Ted may well echo the fun, musical and colourful but I am not sure I would although, to be fair, I am pondering the design of a cheap 2 way with an old fashioned 10" midwoofer for reasons of fun and expect it to be inevitably a bit colourful. Might even be musical for a girl and a guitar as someone observed earlier.

OK. You've made it clear you're not a fan.

The cheap 2 way with an old fashioned 10" midwoofer has an 8" midwoofer with some innovative design features and materials - alnico magnets on some models and hemp cones on most. The cabinets are carefully designed and finished to a very high standard. The crossovers are matched to very tight tolerances. You might not like them but there's a lot of research and a lot of high quality components going into these speakers. Cheap they ain't!

advertisement

Back