advertisement

Audio Note Soro SE - Which one would you buy ??

Not a fan of the SORO, it's a bit of a bizarre fit in the AN range that doesn't really follow their character sound.

Personally I would hold out for an OTO SE Sig which is much sweeter and faster sounding.

With AN-J (or Snell) I would take an OTO over a SORO every day of the week

Silver one is a current/newer version, black is old (maybe more than 20yrs), I would personally go for the new design but if you need phono then it’s an obvious choice. Normally phono versions used to have an additional “preamp” tube while lines are effectively power amps with the volume control.
Yes the current black option is more modern looking with the same text as the silver, I think.

I've just noticed an Oto SE (line integrated) for sale, just a few months old, apparently £4800 SRP, last time I looked these were about £1100

OTO amp section is 2x ECC83 into 4X EL84.
SORO amp section is ECC82 into 2x 6SL7 into 4x 6L6.

I imagine the OTO is a sweeter sound, but the SORO should be more powerful. I'd say £1100 was a lot nearer the value than £4800. It's pretty generic stuff. Common valves.

Silver one is a current/newer version, black is old (maybe more than 20yrs), I would personally go for the new design but if you need phono then it’s an obvious choice. Normally phono versions used to have an additional “preamp” tube while lines are effectively power amps with the volume control.

Shop quoted 12yo the same way it quoted NOS. Your comment does make me a bit concerned about the accuracy of what the shop is telling me.

I've just noticed an Oto SE (line integrated) for sale, just a few months old, apparently £4800 SRP, last time I looked these were about £1100

and that is why these 2 options at 2.4k eur and close to home seem pretty good options compared to everything else that is listed Europe wide on hifishark, audiomarkt etc....

If you want to check the ages of the units you could provide the serial numbers to Audio Note. Hopefully they could tell you when each amp was made.

Personally I prefer the looks of the older unit. The silver one looks...generic. I used to own an OTO in black. It has a more industrial look, yes, but I like it.

Again, personally, I would buy the older, less used, unit. I don't think anything serious should go wrong with these amps except perhaps tube replacements may be needed. And in this aspect, a unit with the lower hours is likelier to be in better shape. Plus you don't need to fork out more for a phono stage.

Shop quoted 12yo the same way it quoted NOS. Your comment does make me a bit concerned about the accuracy of what the shop is telling me.
This is what the more modern black models look like with the central badge. I too think think the black one might be older. AN should be able to tell you from the S/N or even the photo. https://www.audionote.co.uk/contact

iu

iu

Had noticed the used amp prices going up a heck of a lot.Well at least the prices being asked. Hoped/presumed some temporary lockdown type quirk.

When I sold my OTO push pull, I was surprised it was valued at more than $1000 given that I got it for $250 over twenty years ago as an ex-demo. Are these things really worth that much? Guess they are the valve equivalent of the Nait 2! :D

FWIW when I compared the OTO SE against the SORO in a store many many years ago, I actually preferred the OTO. The SORO sounded slower (with Impulse speakers) despite the additional power. It may be wise to consider the opinion of others who have actually tried the amps into the Audio Note speakers concerned.

I used a AN P1SE Signature (single input power amp with volume control) to great effect with both ANE’ and ANJ’s. With C-core transformers, bass was Fabulous!!

If you want to check the ages of the units you could provide the serial numbers to Audio Note. Hopefully they could tell you when each amp was made.
The shop said that the serial number is not visible and shared the below pic, which is not very comforting about the quoted age and the NOS status of this Soro.

Will call them coming week to discuss further.

BslUZnJ.jpeg

In the meantime I did some more local research and found this Meishu

AUDIO NOTE MEISHU SPECIAL ( SILVER SIGNATURE with PHONO )​

I will do some reading on it and have asked the seller more info on the condition, age etc.
Its selling for 1k eur more than the Soro SEs.
This is a private seller.

I understand a higher grade and considerably more expensive amp when new.
Wanted to ask whether if anyone has tried the pairing with the AN-Js and wether it is considered a worthy upgrade to the Soro SE.

There is a rather good valve Amp Designer/builder in Nicosia - Andreas Hadjiminas
I have one of his Phono amps and I think it’s pretty special
I have his email address if you need it - I know he had a couple of amps for sale a short while ago on the bay
New Valve Order/NVO

advertisement

Back