advertisement

Audio Magic Blue Dot - foo?

From the same company that brought you SHD Bees Wax Fuses @ $225.00 ea. so you know they're legit!

To be honest my issue here is the build quality, safety and a passing curiosity as to what the circuit is actually doing. I’ve zero interest in being some variation on a morality police. I am not an authoritarian, people can do whatever the hell they like with their money and believe whatever they like. None of my business. I’d just prefer they didn’t do it with simply horrible build quality held together with hot-glue!

It’s incredible really isn’t it - why when it comes to things like this, do we simply believe what we read and hand over our cash willingly..

I can only think of some crappy fuel additives that will magically fix your ‘knocking big end’ as being similarly ridiculous…

Are audiophiles basically guillable crazy fools?!

Are audiophiles basically guillable crazy fools?!

Just a subset of human; a species blighted with religion, superstition, conspiracy theory, bigotry etc. Hot glue aside I see the audiophile manifestation, be it hardline subjective or hardline objectivist, as remarkably benign. It hurts no one and if it cheers the owner up then I’m not knocking it. I just don’t think we are an especially rational species and if people want to believe in magic stones or flat lines on websites then that’s their decision. No one dies on this hill.

I remember there was a Lenco Heaven member in Hong Kong who used to tune his listening room with loads of little bird houses. Eccentric to say the least but also utterly charming. And I'm afraid I found it more interested to read about than the latest budget DAC or overpriced power cable. Different strokes as they say.

Just a subset of human; a species blighted with religion, superstition, conspiracy theory, bigotry etc. Hot glue aside I see the audiophile manifestation, be it hardline subjective or hardline objectivist, as remarkably benign. It hurts no one and if it cheers the owner up then I’m not knocking it. I just don’t think we are an especially rational species and if people want to believe in magic stones or flat lines on websites then that’s their decision. No one dies on this hill.

I would agree with this and with the acknowledgment that men in particular just need to spend their money! God only knows in am guilty!

Yes. A series capacitor could be used instead, which doesn't dissipate heat. Just Google it. But why be sensible with foo?
Yes that works. However I suspect a mains-safety-rated capacitor of the right value would be more expensive than that 25k resistor. And what we see is not a luxury build.

Then the two 4.7k resistors in series also seem to be voltage droppers. They look like they might connect to a rectifier diode + Zener diode + smoothing capacitor combination to apparently power the IC. If so, they will dissipate more power than the 25k resistor and the box could benefit even more from them being capacitors if it weren't for the bill of materials cost.

Oh! I hadn't realised that had come to market.

I think it's nonsense but I wish the enterprising forum member well in his endeavour.

I wonder what's actually inside?

Nothing special I think ....... most of the fairy dust seems to be in the case and shielding implementation .

Just a subset of human; a species blighted with religion, superstition, conspiracy theory, bigotry etc.
Yes, as always. Blind belief, based on scientific ignorance.
For someone who studied electricity, electronics and mechanics, all this audiophile mumbo-jumbo is sheer nonsense.
Anything cryogenically modified and based on quantum physics should be seen with suspicion.

…..Hot glue aside I see the audiophile manifestation, be it hardline subjective or hardline objectivist, as remarkably benign. It hurts no one and if it cheers the owner up then I’m not knocking it. I just don’t think we are an especially rational species and if people want to believe in magic stones or flat lines on websites then that’s their decision. No one dies on this hill.
I’m not sure I agree. It’s plugged into the mains, it’s a plastic box, no sign of a fuse, and shonky build quality. I really would wan’t that anywhere near my house.

I’m not sure I agree. It’s plugged into the mains, it’s a plastic box, no sign of a fuse, and shonky build quality. I really would wan’t that anywhere near my house.

Agreed. My argument was intended to be ideological/conceptual, just defending the right to buy a nice cable, stand or whatever without being burnt at the stake by the ASR cult. I’m genuinely staggered by the build quality of this thing and I would certainly not connect it to the mains in my house let alone any equipment I cared about. FWIW there is at least one hair-shirt amp designer I held exactly the same view towards.

It is even more inexcusable today now we live in an age where anyone with skill can produce absolutely top-quality PCBs etc in low quality if they have the design ability. The maker community is full of really high-quality projects where Gerber files can be uploaded to PCBWay or wherever and a few weeks later some absolutely beautiful boards drop through the door for about £10-20 or so.

I am no electronics engineer, just a noob hobbyist finding my way around, yet I would be truly shamed to be associated with that sort of shit assembly. I actually go way too far the other way and obsess about leaving the tiniest amount of flux residue or whatever. Hot glue?! No way in hell would I put my name on anything made in that way even if I thought it had any chance of doing whatever it is advertised to do (I still have no idea what it is!).

advertisement

Back