advertisement

Audio Innovations Alto

mandryka

pfm Member
New acquisition, see pic. I got it on the rebound when another deal fell through, and because there are some ecstatic reviews on the internet.

First thoughts, listening to solo piano through old Spendors

1. Really distinctive, “atmospheric” sound. There’s a sense of place, the atmosphere of the place. I can well imagine that many people will adore this, that for many people it’s the sound they’re looking for. This may be what people mean by a valve sound, which for a cheap transistor amp is quite a thing I suppose. It would be interesting to see some graphs showing what it’s doing to the signal.

2. Voice - it does voice impressively. She’s here in the room singing just for me.

3. It looks pretty, cute, I’m not sure what to make of that.

4. There’s a bit of transformer hum

2-F39-DE2-A-848-A-4407-A1-ED-0-EA5263-BA930.jpg

Yep, very good little amp; I've had one for years one the same in the grey finish and used it occasional'y into the Impulse H2s. it gets a lot 'right-enough' over a wide range of music styles, and as you say, a very easy-to enjoy presentation.

Actually - I say I have one, but I lent it to a friend a couple of years ago and suspect it'll not come home ;)

Yes, it seems to me, and don’t forget this is first impressions, that it’s a more refined, nuanced, sweet amp than the quad 306. I mention that because I have one, they both cost me about the same (about £200), they are both very good. The AI is clearly not the greatest amp in the world, but it does seem to make me forget about the Radford and the Krell while I’m listening.And it seems to fit the Spendors very naturally too.

I’ve only listened to very small scale music, lute, piano, harpsichord, a string quartet. Later on I’ll put it through its paces with this

NMC%20D183%20Barrett.jpg

I’ve got to agree, it’s a cracking little thing and I don’t ever see myself parting with mine or the matching CD player.
Unlike some hifi it looks good enough to be on constant display.

I’d like to see the graph too! I’m going to dig see what I can find. You say you get Transformer hum? I don’t notice it on mine?

Don’t touch the chrome versions apparently not as well made.

Daryl.

Well much to my dissapointment it has a fault -- a sort of quiet shhhhhhhh-wshhhhh-chshhhhhhh noise in one of the channels which you hear most when tracks change.

But what I have seen, most strikingky when I took it out of the systen and repaced it with an amp costing 3 times as much, is that the Alto is a special amp, and if I could find a reliable clean one at a reasonable price I would have no hesitation.

I have no idea if I've been unlucky or if it's just a question of natural aging or if they have a poor reputation for reliablilty.

It's 30+yrs old and runs warm, so just get it fixed, it's a very simple circuit. I've some service notes somewhere...
The parts won't cost much at all.

I like it, I bought it at a good price, the case is in very good condition. I want it. I shall get it serviced.

dunno whether Guy (Puresound) still posts here or not but once he wrote to me that the most crucial part of the Alto project, due to it being output cap coupled, similarly to the at-that-time Nytech, then Ion, and now Heed offerings, was to find the best-sounding elkos on the O/P, which turned about to be the Nippon Chemicons that if not abused should be on board. hence, if those will need to be replaced try finding the same type to preserve the sonics, may I advise.
oh, one more thing: there's a lone Samwha 10.000uF cap in the PSU - do replace it with 2pcs. 6800uF caps of the same voltage (63V if I remember correctly), they'll fit the space (you'll see the print and holes for 2 caps on the PCB beneath that Samwha) and the amp'll just love it :)

Reactions: GT
dunno whether Guy (Puresound) still posts here or not but once he wrote to me that the most crucial part of the Alto project, due to it being output cap coupled, similarly to the at-that-time Nytech, then Ion, and now Heed offerings, was to find the best-sounding elkos on the O/P, which turned about to be the Nippon Chemicons that if not abused are should be board. hence, if those will need to be replaced try finding the same type to preserve the sonics, may I advise

I say the exact opposite.

to add, Guy was one of the two engineers at AI given the task to make the amp from scratch :)

Just to clarify. All of the black Alto's were UK made. Some of the chrome finish amplifiers were also UK made. The way to tell the China made amplifiers is to look to see whether there are LEDs indicating the position of the right hand selector switch. Also on the Chinese version, the left hand knob is a balance control.

Just spent some time comparing the (repaired!) AIto and the Radford STA 25, on my JR 149s. Lockdown boredom relief.

With all due respect to the Alto, it is just not in the same league as the Radford: it has to do with harmonics, each note is much more realistic in its partials with the Radford. And the image is deeper.

A good exercise because it’s conclusive proof that amps matter very significantly.

Just had a quick scan for 2nd hand prices.
Jeez! It's a nice little amp but those prices have it competing with stuff I'd easily buy in preference.
If you can grab one cheaper then why not.
I was beaten to it by pure sound on the how to tell a Chinese built version from a UK one.
The Chinese ones seem to be asking the same prices as UK versions, "naughty naughty, very naughty".

They are certainly funky looking, especially the Chrome.Like a 50s flying saucer. I remember lusting after one when I was younger.

I had one when they first came out. Lovely thing......with lighter music it was great but it didn't like dense music at all

advertisement

Back