Roksan Xerxes
SME V
Koetsu any
Ortofon SPU’s
Oracle Delphi
Mullard valves
Yamaha NS1000m
Leak amps

Marantz 63 SE KI sig. seems to have its followers. I was disappointed when given one as a gift. When I bought my Rotel 965BX I wished I had been given that instead. Lovely copper chassis though.

Reactions: RoA
Marantz 63 SE KI sig. seems to have its followers. I was disappointed when given one as a gift. When I bought my Rotel 965BX I wished I had been given that instead. Lovely copper chassis though.

Yes, I thought the same. I seem to remember the KI had very high jitter. I guess that partly explained it's 'etheral' sound beloved by so many thinking they've achieved high end sound for peanuts.

I changed mine for a Trichord modified Pioneer player and did'nt look back.

Yes, I thought the same. I seem to remember the KI had very high jitter. I guess that partly explained it's 'etheral' sound beloved by so many thinking they've achieved high end sound for peanuts.

I changed mine for a Trichord modified Pioneer player and did'nt look back.
It was just pedestrian. Looks over substance.

Reactions: RoA

Same. Did like the KI after an extended play/ownership.

Bought the same Rotel and it was lovely in comparison.

Sold the KI and still have the Rotel spare.

I think you will find that most commercial CD players back when the CD63 was made had similar levels of jitter. Remember jitter is a relatively new term in digital audio specifications.

I think you will find that most commercial CD players back when the CD63 was made had similar levels of jitter. Remember jitter is a relatively new term in digital audio specifications.

I remember Trichord tackling that very issue. Likely that was the reason I so enjoyed their modified Pioneer after the vague and slightly soft (its hard to remember exact traits after decades) KI?

I think it's no coincidence that 'cultish' is only one letter away from describing the same sort of behaviour towards certain bits of kit. It's guaranteed where blokes and hobbies are concerned.

I would say Acoustic Research speakers are a bit of a cult thing in the US audio community. Same with Altecs.

True. Huge JBLs and Klipsch corner-based horns as well. Room size doesn’t seem to matter to devotees.

Shahanian Arcs. From the moment I plugged them in I knew I’d not be bothered by toe-in, spikes or how far/near the wall should be. It was a considerable relief as I was beginning to get bothered by stuff that I was being told I should be bothered about. I’ve got much more hard-nosed about hifi since. I only mention this because it seems to be a shared opinion and that where cults start?

Cultish suggests divisive. The Wicker Man is a cult film. Aside from the rather creepy ending, I think the rest is dated overwrought rubbish.

• All of these (and many others) represent key defining moments or benchmark products in the HiFi industry.
IMHO only the Technics is a benchmark item on that list. Linn on the other hand was a benchmark product in hifi marketing industry.

advertisement

Back