advertisement

Audio equipment with cult status

To my mind the LP12 is by far the best evolution of the 1960s Ed Villchur three-point subchassis design and has clearly stood the test of time. It is a beautifully engineered and aesthetically timeless classic and remains a very high-performing turntable in any of its many guises.

I completely agree with most of this. The LP12 is indeed beautifully engineered, very well made and a highly creditable and enjoyable performer.

However, I personally do not believe it is the greatest turntable ever made, not was it ever, but to suggest this to many people out there is to basically climb into the big Wicker Man and strike the match yourself for such heresy!

The LS3/5A remains the benchmark against which all mini-monitors are judged to this day, and deservedly so IMO. It still has something so ‘right’ about the midband that remains elusive to much competition. It is also a design that perfectly suits a specific niche role (e.g. valve-amp users who only have a small room). Two truly superb products.

This we’re going to have to disagree on. To me, the LS3/5A fulfils its original design brief well and as a unit for nearfield monitoring of speech, it does an admirable job.

However, in hi-fi mini monitor terms, whilst undoubtedly a pleasant enough sounding design, it has been surpassed for many years IMHO.

The dragon has the cult status and the following, the cr7 not so, this thread is about cult status gear and the dragon has it in bucket loads

Exactly why the CR7 is cult and the Dragon isn’t.

Its like you’re arguing StarWars is more cult than Battle beyond the stars!

So is music, and at the end of the day that is what this hobby is (should) be about.
I’m not sure music is as it can be enjoyed on many levels. I think blokes, it nearly always is, tend to form irrational attachments to certain audio brands or music genres.

The most successful brand which emulates some milder cult tendencies is Apple, they render the likes of Linn/Naim or whoever look like complete amateurs. Dedicated shops, assistants in different coloured t-shirts, the ‘genius bar’ etc etc.

Yes, music is certainly the way this hobby started for me.
I managed to buy my childhood Philips dansette a few weeks ago, and using that with my dad’s 45 rpm EP records brought everything back. This is how it started for me and the emotion was intact. And the smell of valved stuff!
Not hi-fi, just the music and the attraction and curiosity for the device on which I played it as a toddler.
Only 10 years later I learnt how valves work and why the phonogram smelt funny!

If you're taking Nak's, why not this one? I used to use it and my brother still has it. A lovely piece of kit.

Screenshot-2022-03-20-at-10-11-26.png

Not saying the dragon is the best nak, I just thought this thread was about hifi components that has a cult status.
Most people of a certain age will know what a nakamichi dragon is, the cr7 and 1000, not so.
Certainly not going to argue about anything as Certainly not that bothered.

Seems I have a few cult items in my collection thus far:
  • Mana stands
  • 3-head Nakamichi
  • Naim NAIT2
  • LP12
  • Yamaha NS-1000M
Curiously, these all work very nicely together and sound fabulous. So there is merit to their cult status.

advertisement

Back