advertisement

Audible hiss from biwiring...

Mutsu

pfm Member
So I thought as I plan on bi-amping in the not to distant future, I thought I would buy an extra cable in preparation and try bi-wiring.

There is definitely a difference, but I'm not sure it's one I prefer. Soundstage seems wider, things seem slightly brighter. But today I noticed there is a very quiet background hiss coming from the speakers that wasn't present with single wiring.

Is this normal? Could I have done something wrong?

Setup is Audiolab MDAC -> Audiolab 8200P -> Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE

Thanks!
Steve

Is it reversible? Ie, if you disconnect one of the cables and put a link back, does the hiss disappear? I ask because in my area at least the mains supply itself seems to have good times and bad times and with previous equipment I had which was a bit subsceptible to hiss anyway, it definitely changed from day to day or even morning to evening.

It sounds quite abnormal.
Check again single/bi and make absolutely sure there is additional hiss.

Is it possible to single wire one speaker and bi-wire another to see if there is hiss coming from one or the other? Or is this risky in terms of blowing things up?!

Cheers
Steve

I've switched back to single wire and tried different inputs/outputs yet I'm still getting the hiss.

I'm pretty certain in my current setup there was no hiss previously. I've moved around power sockets recently so I'm going to experiment with that now.

Got it working again, rearranged some wires and I think the hiss has been reduced somewhat. It appears to be coming from my power amp (Get the hiss when nothing else is connected or turned on.

Now also decided that biwire isn't for me. It does make a change in to the music, but I think I prefer the sound of a single wire. For now I've got both wires going into the speakers but have the speaker terminal plates in place. To me this sounds the same as single wire with plates.

I actually don't mind a small amount of hiss. In my very dead living room it lets me know there is some top end and air to the reproduction.

An old recording of Schuberts Die Winterreise with Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears starts with a gradually rising tape hiss which sounds like a whisper ef escaping steam. Pure nostalga.

Mutsu,

Not trying to defend the 8200P - but all Amplifiers will produce a certain level of Hiss - some more then others - you might need to put your ear next to the tweeter with a "quite" amplifier design.

The 8200P is actually a reasonably quite design - I suspect the Hiss has always been present, its just that you only noticed it while experimenting with Bi-wiring as you paid more attention to the speakers.

John

Got it working again, rearranged some wires and I think the hiss has been reduced somewhat. It appears to be coming from my power amp (Get the hiss when nothing else is connected or turned on.

Now also decided that biwire isn't for me. It does make a change in to the music, but I think I prefer the sound of a single wire. For now I've got both wires going into the speakers but have the speaker terminal plates in place. To me this sounds the same as single wire with plates.

I assume you did remove the linking plates first when you biwired?

I suspect the hiss has been there all along, and you only just now noticed?
Lots of amps do this when idling. Don't worry. Unless it is too present.

On bi-wiring:
There is a slight difference, but not worth the trouble if you ask me.
Also, I can clearly tell if the single wire is hooked up to the treble or "bass" ports of my Kans which are connected by metal strips. I prefer having them hooked up at the "bass" ports. (No, I don't care wether or not Linn give differing advice, thank you.)

Mutsu,

Not trying to defend the 8200P - but all Amplifiers will produce a certain level of Hiss - some more then others - you might need to put your ear next to the tweeter with a "quite" amplifier design.

The 8200P is actually a reasonably quite design - I suspect the Hiss has always been present, its just that you only noticed it while experimenting with Bi-wiring as you paid more attention to the speakers.

John

I think you are right about me noticing it because of paying more attention John, it was likely my old and much smaller speakers where the hum wasn't noticeable.

I've ordered some attenuators to see if this will make a difference, but I'm no longer worried about if it does or not. The hiss isn't audible from the listening position and music still sound great.

Still very much looking forward to hearing the MIMP when you have one ready, it's highly likely I'll be ordering a couple when they are :)

Thanks
Steve

I suspect the hiss has been there all along, and you only just now noticed?
Lots of amps do this when idling. Don't worry. Unless it is too present.

On bi-wiring:
There is a slight difference, but not worth the trouble if you ask me.
Also, I can clearly tell if the single wire is hooked up to the treble or "bass" ports of my Kans which are connected by metal strips. I prefer having them hooked up at the "bass" ports. (No, I don't care wether or not Linn give differing advice, thank you.)

In my case I found that certain frequencies sounded a bit muddled and vocals seemed to take a back seat. Soundstage was wider, but probably not clearer.

I also noticed a small difference depending one if the single wire was hooked up to the treble or bass ports on my speakers, although I can't remember which off the top of my head. All I know is it was what Tannoy recommended.

Looking forward to trying bi-amping as my next step though.

Definitely a big step!
And again, just for the fun of it, also try running an amp per box, meaning hook up bass to one stereo side, treble to other of one amp, and use the other amp for the other box. Sounds different again!

Demo first if possible, it's not always an improvement; an active crossover between pre and power can make a big difference too giving you maybe 30% more voltage headroom on the bass side (iirc the Tannoys are c 1600 HHz xover?)

advertisement

Back