advertisement

Audial S4 Dac - Subjective Review

Yes it does them magic things with more of the latter. A Chord Dave/M Scaler does too.

Excellent write up Alex, would love to hear the system when the shit settles and let the dogs run off into the wilderness.

Hello, thanks for sharing the info on the S4. I'm thinking about an S5 lately and was wondering if there's any followup info after a few years with the S4 :)

I think the S4/S5 are similar to the Abbas 2.3se for example in high level concept, except of course solid state buffer vs tube and a few other things that might make some key difference(s). I'm thinking what might save the Audial in that case is, linear but open loop circuits. I've always maintained that most of the damage being done to digital audio is occurring after the actual chip used. But then the question is basically, is a good valve still required to get the most "out of the way" vs a silicon device? Lately, and after decades of my own efforts by now I'm thinking that might actually be the case- vacuum vs silicon.

So I'm wondering how the S4 (or S5) has stacked up meanwhile? Thanks! T

A bit of a delayed reply. I have recently added a valve power amp and a valve phono stage. I stand by everything I wrote earlier and see no reason to change the Audial.

I’ve not had the opportunity to hear an S5. The optical input would have been useful but now I am not inclined to waste the valve amp on TV duty.

The only further thing I’m considering is a network bridge streamer, primarily to piss off Keith. The problem there is the exact things I want all seem to involve giving money to John Westlake, something I don’t really wish to do given how he’s treated PFM investors.

advertisement

Back