advertisement

Audial AYA 5...

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
So, I've taken the plunge and just ordered an AYA 5 - after settling, currently, on vintage DACs and CDPs based on the TDA1541A as my preferred, I figured I better try Pedja's supposedly best in breed TDA1541 implementation.

Anyone tried or have one? Seem to recall at least one member here was raving about an earlier iteration. I cannot afford a completed unit, so I'll need to finish the build (I ordered USB, S/PDIF inputs & SMT output stage devices already fitted, so just through hole stuff to complete).

Anyone else interested, see https://www.audialonline.com/blog/aya-5/

Thanks, Richard

IMHO the SQ of DACs pretty much depend on their output stage. I expect this one to sound differently than his previous AYA/AYA2 incarnations mainly because of the new discrete output stage. Also, power supply regs will be somewhat upgraded. Probably he will keep OPA861 for I/V duties.
In his own words, he tried Jfet buffer in the past and didn't like it so I guess this new one will be something special.
For the previous output stage all I can say is that, although OPA861, having zero feedback, differs from the rest of opas, I can still recognize some of sound characteristics of opas. So it comes down to someones preference and I wouldn't say that his implentation of TDA1541 is as-good-as-it-gets, let's say it is very well thought out from someone who knows this chip very well

Phwoar :D

51832577349_f214e6ae44_k.jpg

51831281847_59fa9c5c92_k.jpg

51831281602_4eb3354481_k.jpg

I'm no expert of all the different variations of the AYA DAC but what has always put me off them in the past is the fact that they seem to generally be non oversampling.

I will be following this thread with great interest!

I'm no expert of all the different variations of the AYA DAC but what has always put me off them in the past is the fact that they seem to generally be non oversampling.

I will be following this thread with great interest!

Yep @Mike, and you’ll remember I never tried NOS yet :D I figure I won’t lose money if I don’t like and choose to sell, but also respect Pedja‘s work in the community. It’s going to be a slow project, I really want to get this right :) Main difference in this version is the discrete transimpedance OP stage, and the removal of the DEM clocking adjustment (although it can be added back in).

Need to decide whether to fit an S1 or that Taiwan chip I traded from you - for sure I’ll fit a socket initially.

Think I am going to re-purpose the casework from a Primare T20 tuner I have - high quality casework, but tuners are worth nothing anymore (I only paid 20.- for it, doubt I'd get that back now);

51851971651_66c9190712_k.jpg

51851005542_d54b917e2e_k.jpg

I'll need to get this front plate re-made as it only needs a switch and 3 LEDs mounting on it;
51852044358_fa06aefce9_k.jpg

51852044343_654dc34a25_k.jpg

As well as front plate, need to machine rear for various input/output sockets - not keen on doing it myself using hand tools...but a bit concerned how much it will cost me to be done prefessionally - how do DIYers do their rear plate drilling for socketry?

Just started work on the BOM, this is going to be a long project I suspect.

Richard

Nice work Richard - I'll be tuning in to see how you get on. Does that board have an output IV stage all built in?

I buy PA amps in reasonable nick secondhand for chassis - if you look around you can pick them up for about 40e, they usually have an IEC inlet already fitted, often a mains switch, heatsink, and usually a transformer that can be used for something else. Cheapest way I know to get a chassis, especially if you cut a plain bit of alu for the front panel.

Looking forward to hear how you like the NOS tda1541a sound.. I have a fully assembled aya 5 coming to me soon. I'm too chicken to DIY hehe

Looking forward to hear how you like the NOS tda1541a sound.. I have a fully assembled aya 5 coming to me soon. I'm too chicken to DIY hehe
Haha - you’ll hear yours before mine is finished I think, so let me know how it sounds please :)

I checked with Pedja - he could supply me with AYA 5 casework, but it’s a bit expensive for an el-cheapo DIYer like me - hopefully I can get a new Alu front panel made pretty cheaply, and I guess I learn to use the Dremel on the rear :)

Nice work Richard - I'll be tuning in to see how you get on. Does that board have an output IV stage all built in?

Hey Fran - yes, see 2nd photo in this thread - discrete diamond topology…whatever that means, but a move away from his earlier opamp based iV/OP stages :) - he actually built up all the through hole components for me, as he had some issues with oscillation I think, dependent on transistor matching. Anyhow, less for me to do myself, was supposed to be SMT component complete only :)

Nice one Richard. I have used his diamond buffer output stage on a DAC before, its very nice indeed. Only really beaten by a DHT DAC output stage but that was about 10 times the price lol!

I don't think you'll be dissappointed with that build somehow. What front end are you feeding it with?

Nice one Richard. I have used his diamond buffer output stage on a DAC before, its very nice indeed. Only really beaten by a DHT DAC output stage but that was about 10 times the price lol!

I don't think you'll be dissappointed with that build somehow. What front end are you feeding it with?

Initially, TV and RPi streamer with SPDIF Hat. But depends how it sounds - will it be better than my modded Naim CDI which is still my main source? :)

Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Aguaazul (Bluewater). It's my first post here at PFM, thanks for having me.

I purchased a fully built & tested AYA 5 without the TDA1541A. I've been collecting them for quite a while.

Our AYA 5 (purchased as completed & tested board w/o TDA1541A as my Christmas 2021 present from my family to me) is up and running. I implemented the isolation transformer option and have a 2nd set of output capacitors on a hobby board set up for easy experimenting. Everything else is Audial factory setup. What I really liked about getting a 100% tested board is the 4 pages of THD tests showing that this DAC is super clean and built right. I don’t have the software to test. It’s a huge relief to know this DAC is done right!

Cheers, Aguaazul (A.K.A. Randall)

I can't seem to add links or photos. Perhaps on my 2nd post.

lQzKLle.jpg
I received mine, it's amazing. made me believe in dacs as an important component again. everything comes from a super black background and I feel like the treble is super non harsh even compared to my other r2r multibit dac.. very nice build quality and rock solid stability.. no screens or weird settings to mess with

No photos allowed yet. There is a link to all my AYA 5 pix at the AYA 5 Blog link in the 1st post of this thread.

Hopefully I'll earn my trust here.

Cheers, Aguaazul

Hi - thought I had responded, clearly not - sorry :) You cannot host photos on PFM, just link to those hosted elsewhere on internet using {IMG}url{/{IMG} tages (replace { with a [ :)). Do you like the sound of yours? What have you compared it too?

lQzKLle.jpg
I received mine, it's amazing. made me believe in dacs as an important component again. everything comes from a super black background and I feel like the treble is super non harsh even compared to my other r2r multibit dac.. very nice build quality and rock solid stability.. no screens or weird settings to mess with

Thanks @uncola - good to see a fully assembled board, for sure it will help me in the future - I just completed a bit more of the BOM for mine over the weekend - I hate doing this type of work so avoid it :) What is your other r2r DAC you're comparing it too?

Thanks, Richard

Hi - thought I had responded, clearly not - sorry :) You cannot host photos on PFM, just link to those hosted elsewhere on internet using {IMG}url{/{IMG} tages (replace { with a [ :)). Do you like the sound of yours? What have you compared it too?

I have Ian Canada's Dual ES9038Q2M Raspberry Pie Streamer DAC, run on battery supply, I have a DacMagic from Cambridge Audio.
The AYA 5 is more musical, seems smoother all around. I used to have a switch where I could A / B test them with the same source material.
It's gone, AYA 5 won out.

Cheers,
Aguaazul

Sorry no pix, they say I'm a spammer.

advertisement

Back