advertisement

Audacity users....assistance needed

Lee T

pfm Member
Ok, so i have my TT connected to my Nait 3 amp.

I have purchased one of these Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface with Digital Output, Compatible with PC and Mac : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

Have a cable connected from input/output 5 on the rear of the amp (manual claims either 4 or 5 can be used for output). From the amp the cable is connected to the input on the Behringer which is connected to my laptop via the usb cable attached. Lighting up, working fine.

I have set the Behringer as the default unit for recording etc...

In Audacity i have it set up like this

I have the Nait in Monitor mode & have placed a record ready for recording as a test subject. When i press record on Audacity, nothing, no sound coming through to Audacity.

Can someone sort this out please, i'm not a techie when it comes to laptops & stuff like this so need some help. Obviously i'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Can someone sort this out please, i'm not a techie when it comes to laptops & stuff like this so need some help. Obviously i'm doing something wrong.

Have used a Behringer device with Audacity in the past (on Mac and Windows) - they are pretty simple devices so not a lot to go wrong. I am not a computer whizz though so if does get complicated, I'm not your man.

Just a couple of suggestions of things you could check:

1. In the main recording window check that the Bheringer is listed as the source device in the input drop down (top left, under the buttons)

2. If using a PC, check that it is listed in Device Manager and there are no alerts next to it and the driver is present.
If using a Mac check the Sound Preferences and also Audio Midi settings in 'Utilities' for the Behringer as input.

Behringer also used to have a downloadable app for Windows that might help (nothing for Mac AFAIK)

Check these and if all looks good come back here - someone else might help with the Nait side of things ;)

Doubt your laptop has an SPDIF optical input but if so that would be worth trying instead of USB...

I will take a look this evening. As far as i can see the Behringer is showing as the source on the laptop & in Audacity.

I will take a look this evening. As far as i can see the Behringer is showing as the source on the laptop & in Audacity.

Ah - the window you posted lists a USB microphone codec ....

A quick look in Device Manager should confirm the device and any driver problems

Last edited:
Found this user comment that pretty much confirms what your settings above show - i.e. your laptop has installed a USB microphone driver that won't work:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222--behringer-u-control-uca222-usb-audio-interface

Great product, careful with driver install in windows 10

Excellent product. Note, when I plugged it into my laptop running windows 10 the drivers that automatically downloaded made my laptop recognize the interface as a mic, therefore the interface didn't work properly. Once I manually downloaded the proper drivers it worked like a charm.

by Sweetwater Customer on July 26, 2020

... and also this one via your Amazon link:

Good product once it has the correct drivers
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 18 January 2019
Verified Purchase

I bought this device to let me plug an old mixer into my Windows 10 laptop. I found it worked very well once I had cleared the hurdle of locating the right drivers. The manual states that "the device requires no special setup or drivers". This is only partly correct - Windows does install a driver but its for a USB microphone, which is useless.

After a great deal of searching I finally found the required drivers on the Behringer site. To find the right one, search for U-CONTROL UCA200-SR. This allows the download of the driver called BEHRINGER_2902_X64_2.8.40 (for a 64 bit system. 32 bit drivers are available too).

Annoyingly the manual doesn't mention any of this. Luckily it only has to be done once, but the website and manual could both do a better job of pointing users in the right direction.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Audacity should show which input is selected , got a cheap external soundcard to copy some tapes into laptop via the laptop USB and Audacity is showing the actual input selected.

Found this user comment that pretty much confirms what your settings above show - i.e. your laptop has installed a USB microphone driver that won't work:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222--behringer-u-control-uca222-usb-audio-interface

Great product, careful with driver install in windows 10

Excellent product. Note, when I plugged it into my laptop running windows 10 the drivers that automatically downloaded made my laptop recognize the interface as a mic, therefore the interface didn't work properly. Once I manually downloaded the proper drivers it worked like a charm.

by Sweetwater Customer on July 26, 2020

... and also this one via your Amazon link:

Good product once it has the correct drivers
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 18 January 2019
Verified Purchase

I bought this device to let me plug an old mixer into my Windows 10 laptop. I found it worked very well once I had cleared the hurdle of locating the right drivers. The manual states that "the device requires no special setup or drivers". This is only partly correct - Windows does install a driver but its for a USB microphone, which is useless.

After a great deal of searching I finally found the required drivers on the Behringer site. To find the right one, search for U-CONTROL UCA200-SR. This allows the download of the driver called BEHRINGER_2902_X64_2.8.40 (for a 64 bit system. 32 bit drivers are available too).

Annoyingly the manual doesn't mention any of this. Luckily it only has to be done once, but the website and manual could both do a better job of pointing users in the right direction.
Have been to the site but can't find this (BEHRINGER_2902_X64_2.8.40) anywhere. I can find it via google but it's one of those off site jobs where you have to download other stuff first, had problems in the past doing this.

It's there - just found it but if it's anything like my soundcard (same chip?) it doesn't need it.
Audio interfaces - USB

You can't just go to the Behringer site and download the UCA222 driver?

https://www.behringer.com/downloads.html

Apparently not - seems Behringer have withdrawn it and replaced with the ASIO4ALL USB driver which is available for the OPs model:
https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1316473-behringer-asio-driver-lower-end-interfaces.html

Whether it works or not is anyone's guess :(

Possibly safer to see if Device Manager comes up with a better driver than the USB microphone default (that doesn't seem to work...)

Behringer are a crap company, make crap copycat products and like to bully critics. Avoid.

Journalist Attack

OP would be better off getting a Focusrite Scarlett, provided you're getting an output from the amp. Much more flexible than the Rega.

OP would be better off getting a Focusrite Scarlett, provided you're getting an output from the amp. Much more flexible than the Rega.

Focusrite make great products - I used a Saffire 24 for a good while for ADC/DAC duties - regular swiss army knife :)

Jump in price again for a stereo input Scarlett model and no RIAA equalisation so OP would need a phono stage (presumably in the NAIT though?) or correct via Audacity.

Focusrite make great products - I used a Saffire 24 for a good while for ADC/DAC duties - regular swiss army knife :)

Jump in price again for a stereo input Scarlett model and no RIAA equalisation so OP would need a phono stage (presumably in the NAIT though?) or correct via Audacity.

My understanding was that the TT is connected to the NAIT and he is trying to output that into the USB device.

I don't know much about the NAIT at all, so assuming OP knows that such an action is possible (e.g. NAIT is simply acting as a phono stage and sending signal to the USB device).

Would you not connect the deck directly
To the device which then goes to the pc, and for monitoring the device output connected up to the amp?

advertisement

Back