advertisement

Au revoir Daft Punk

Great from start to finish. RAM got me into them, but their earlier stuff is great too. Hope they’re well and looking to new ventures.

The music industry - no different to any other, just on a shorter timescale than many.

I am no fan but like a lot of what they did, some very much so. Plus, there are now two totally free spirits, rather than a duo.
Hopefully for them they made serious money, somebody did

Sad news, Daft Punk has been the soundtrack of my life really. Random Access Memories is probably one of the best albums since the Millennium!

There was rumor they were going to be involved in the next Tron film, I guess not. Tron Legacy is a good film but the soundtrack really transforms it!

I loved the earlier records especially 'Homework'.

I was quite well into that French disco scene (Air, Etienne De Crecy (Superdiscount), Alex Gopher, Cassius, Alan Braxe etc) and then Daft Punk. Some great music there.

I did start losing interest though and the 'Discovery' album was enough for me.

I loved the earlier records especially 'Homework'.

I was quite well into that French disco scene (Air, Etienne De Crecy (Superdiscount), Alex Gopher, Cassius, Alan Braxe etc) and then Daft Punk. Some great music there.

I did start losing interest though and the 'Discovery' album was enough for me.
Same with me.
I think Justice picked up Daft Punk's early phase style and took it further a notch.

For me Daft Punk ceased to exist after Homework (and, well, the conteporaneous-but-released-later Alive 1997, which is excellent). It was inevitable that they would move more towards the vocal-ly/filtered French house sound, given their respective solo interests, and from there, a quick slide to disco-pop irrelevance (for me). But Homework and Alive 1997 both have some really raw moments that still hold up well today IMO.

Digging through Discogs, it looks like neither one of them has done much for the past few years. I wonder what's next for either of them...just swimming in cash tubs?

Dance music for rock fans with great stereos. I think they're great, of course.

If there were still high street hi fi shops, Random Access memories would have definitely supplanted Pink Floyd as the demo disc of choice.

Ahhh that is sad news. Daft Punk along with the chemical brothers first got me in to electronic music when homework was released. Absolutely blew my mind as a former ‘grunge’ kid!
Never really got into either Daft Punk or the Chemical Brothers. Viewed both as EDM for the charts.
If you are interested the 1st 2 tracks of this EP are Tom Rowlands post Ariel.

Had some good tracks before they became famous, i.e. before homeworks. Lost interest, once they became pop and veered into commercial and chart topping songs.

advertisement

Back