advertisement

ATV3 drop outs but ATV2 works perfectly

busb

Mine's a pint of beer please
Hi

I've successfully been using the optical output of an AppleTV2 for a good few months. This output is connected via an inexpensive 0.5m lead into OPT1 of my M-DAC, the HDMI output feeds a Panasonic plasma that in turn is connected to my M-DAC via a 3m cheap & cheerful 3m optical cable. I use this setup to stream iTunes or Spotify from a laptop, PC, iPhone, iPad or iTunes Match.

I recently bought an ATV3 but the audio cuts out from the optical output but is fine from the HDMI into then back out of the TV. I took back the ATV3 for a replacement - same!

As the HDMI audio is fine, I can elliminate WiFi as being an issue so either my optical cable is not mating with the socket on the ATV3 despite working fine in the ATV2 that a replacement cable will/may solve or I've bought from a faulty batch (probably unlikely). Has anyone had similar problems with either the ATV3 or optical cables in general?

It's going to be returned this morning - probably for a refund. Spoke to TS in Ireland yesterday who said it was a known issue with this version. If you want to use the optical out, search for an ATV2. I don't know if it effects all ATV3s or just some.

Optical out from an ATV3 works fine here - using the optical out directly into an AV receiver.

Assuming you're running the M-Dac with the latest firmware, did you try changing the DPLL settings - they're under the 'Jitter' menu item. I had a similar drop out problem with my Musical Fidelity DAB tuner and changing that setting cured the problem.

Optical out from an ATV3 works fine here - using the optical out directly into an AV receiver.

Assuming you're running the M-Dac with the latest firmware, did you try changing the DPLL settings - they're under the 'Jitter' menu item. I had a similar drop out problem with my Musical Fidelity DAB tuner and changing that setting cured the problem.

I'm running A03, I think it's called. I did try the DPLL settings but to no avail when running 0.99. Apple are aware there's a problem with the optical out - my guess would be a bad batch. Borrowed then tried a friend's Beresford 1m cable, it too was a very poor fit into the ATV3's socket but fine into my ATV2 which I'm obviously going to keep. I will try to find out exactly what the problem is & if it's likely to be cured before the next model is launched - I would like to use 1080p but it is used mainly for audio so am not too upset. Got a refund in the Reading Oracle's Apple shop.

advertisement

Back