advertisement

Attenuating and converting a DC signal to AC line level..

mikesnowdon

resU deretsigeR
Hi all.

Not been around here for a while but recently had an idea and wanted to ask you super chaps of PFM...

Im really into Sim Racing now and the bodger in me has been resurrected!

Most Sim Racing steering wheels have built in rumble motors to simulate the effect of engine revs, road surface bumps, and impacts etc. What I want to do is amplify this effect to real world levels for improved 'immersion' and realism.

The signal feeding these rumble motors is DC and variable in level. What I'd like to do is find a way to take this signal and use it to feed an amplifier driving a bass shaker (buttkicker) tactile transducer.

Off the top of my head there are 2 things I need to achieve this: 1, Attenuate the signal to 'line level' voltage. 2, convert it to AC. Or vice versa.

Any ideas on how to go about this?

Yea but thats a little complex and involves software. Thanks anyway.

I could easily connect a bass shaker to my audio output but I want the more isolated effects that go to the rumble motors in the wheel rim.

Heyho Mike welcome back :D

Can you not just stuff the DC through a series capacitor and float off the AC component?

Tony

It sounds like as if the motor gets a DC voltage of varying intensity and length, depending on the specific rumble effect it should create. To drive a speaker, you would need an AC generator with amplifier, that responds to the DC voltage that normally the motor would see. Right?

Maybe a voltage-controlled oscillator of some sort? Copy a VCO module from an analog synthesizer.

Heyho Mike welcome back :D

Can you not just stuff the DC through a series capacitor and float off the AC component?

Tony

Hiya! Sadly just sold the main power amp parts from my failed integrated build wayy back when...

When the time comes for building 5.1 surround into my racing rig i'll be sure to call on my PFM bodging skills!

Hmmm. 6 channels of Hackernap maybe..... lol!

It sounds like as if the motor gets a DC voltage of varying intensity and length, depending on the specific rumble effect it should create. To drive a speaker, you would need an AC generator with amplifier, that responds to the DC voltage that normally the motor would see. Right?

Nail- head - Direct hit ;)

Maybe the turntable guys know how to implement an AC generator here.
As far as I know, advanced turntable supplies convert the Line AC to DC and than back to clean AC (50Hz). I never had a turntable, so this could be wrong.

So if you just want to use 50 Hz signals, the turntable AC generator would be straight forward (and possibly overkill).

But I´m clueless about how to vary the amplitude of the signal....or the frequency...

advertisement

Back