advertisement

Attaching photos.

Jazzer

pfm Member
I’m sure that it’s been answered before but I can’t seem to find how to do it?
I’m using an iPad currently.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

You need to host the pictures somewhere else then link to them. You can't upload pictures directly. If it's a picture I'm using somewhere else anyway that's fine, otherwise I just don't bother.

Ah, I see.
Thank you for that.
Steve

You need to host the pictures somewhere else then link to them. You can't upload pictures directly. If it's a picture I'm using somewhere else anyway that's fine, otherwise I just don't bother.
I don’t think I will bother either.
Not worth the hassle. 🙄

I don’t think I will bother either.
Not worth the hassle. 🙄
I think it's only fair to observe that if pfm has to host images, that can very quickly escalate to a shitload of storage capacity. Which has to be paid for and, as @Tony L says, it's not as though pfm is swimming in spare cash.

Maybe, Tony, you could charge for putting up pictures (and have them expire after, say 30 days unless renewed)? Just looking at alternative income streams.

I think it's only fair to observe that if pfm has to host images, that can very quickly escalate to a shitload of storage capacity. Which has to be paid for and, as @Tony L says, it's not as though pfm is swimming in spare cash.
I think it's a catch 22. You're not just in competition with other forums now but with other platforms like Facebook, all of which offer image hosting. If you don't provide it you're going to lose users to other platforms that do. If you do provide it you need the people to get the revenue to pay for it.

I post things on the LP12 Lounge Facebook group I don't bother posting here because it's simple to use images. Then you just get into the habit of being there more, the conversation is started, then eventually you stop being here. The focus just gradually shifts.

If you are new to uploading photos elsewhere, remember to use the "Preview" option and you'll be able to see if you've done correctly.
I've 40 years working in IT and still find the process a bit fiddly.

One downside is the older 'this is how I soldered my widget' threads where the images have now disappeared.

Even worse is where an entire forum has now disappeared and wayback is your only hope.

I think it's a catch 22. You're not just in competition with other forums now but with other platforms like Facebook, all of which offer image hosting. If you don't provide it you're going to lose users to other platforms that do. If you do provide it you need the people to get the revenue to pay for it.

I’m really not worried about Facebook as competition! It is a horrible substitute for a forum IMHO, I’m a member of several audio related groups and they are just dreadful compared to any of the dedicated forums. Tiny little echo chambers, impossible to search, closed-off, isolated, and all too often just a sales platform for whoever set them up.

Facebook is a horrible platform all round IMO. I only browse there as some old friends with no interest in audio are there. I’d have closed my account years ago otherwise.

As others have suggested hosting images is just not viable. Facebook, Twitter etc can afford it as they sell your personal data, and I’d be amazed if that didn’t include parsing the EXIF data in images etc (location etc). I don’t trust Zuckerberg any further than I could throw Elon Musk.

Not worth the hassle. 🙄
As someone who hasn't managed it yet since Photobucket got greedy, There WILL come a time. In a burst of frenzy recently, and after advice here, I tried Imgur. After failing, I read that others had found it to be unreliable too.

Second attempt, and easier, I thought, was Flikr. I even uploaded a pic. but that's as far as it went, as there were no instructions to do anything with it (i.e. download to forum). Since then I've had numerous inane emails from them advocating aspects of their hosting I don't understand but I AM, at least, registered, so will have another go when I've recovered.

Postimage will be my next assignment. For selling anything here, quite apart from illustrating some of one's posts, this photo thing is now de rigeur, I've reluctantly accepted.

Last edited:
Flikr is easy; once you have uploaded your image there click the share icon (bent arrow thing), choose ‘BB code’ and a size of 1024px max, and then just copy the provided code straight into your post here (i.e. no need to use anything on the toolbar here).

PS I’m talking about the Flickr website from a computer or iPad, it is a whole world of pain on an iPhone or from their app.

As someone who hasn't managed it yet since Photobucket got greedy, There WILL come a time. In a burst of frenzy recently, and after advice here, I tried Imgur. After failing, I read that others had found it to be unreliable too.

Second attempt, and easier, I thought, was Flikr. I even uploaded a pic. but that's as far as it went, as there were no instructions to do anything with it (i.e. download to forum). Since then I've had numerous inane emails advocating aspects of hosting I don't understand but I AM, at least, registered, so will have another go when I've recovered.

Postimage will be my next assignment. For selling anything here, quite apart from illustrating some of one's posts, this photo thing is now de rigeur, I've reluctantly accepted.
I have decided not to bother tbh.
I get fed up with the constant need for passwords on online sites and apps and prefer to keep my online profile as low as I can.
It was just a silly picture of one of those 3D puzzles of an old fashioned phonograph that I recently made, by ROKR, if anyone wants to look it up.
It looks great and works too but I wouldn’t like to try an LP on it. lol.
I was going to post it in the what Is your most recent hifi purchase thread.

I'm 67, err no, 68, I had another b'day recently (blimey!), and I managed it dead easy using Flickr as the host site. Just follow the simple instructions that are set down here in PFM. Like falling off a bike, when you've done it once it's easy to do it again.

Flikr is easy; once you have uploaded your image there click the share icon (bent arrow thing), choose ‘BB code’ and a size of 1024px max, and then just copy the provided code straight into your post here (i.e. no need to use anything on the toolbar here).

PS I’m talking about the Flickr website from a computer or iPad, it is a whole world of pain on an iPhone or from their app.
Worth noting if you have an ad blocker on pfm this share facility may not work .not sure why

advertisement

Back