advertisement

Atomic Rooster

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Gave their eponymous album "Death Walks Behind You" a spin in the car (yes mp3) today. One of those bands you never quite get round to checking out.
One of my very first ever LPs was The Crazy World of Arther Brown so I was familiar with Vincent Crane's style and work.

I found similarities to early ELP. Plenty of instrumental keyboardy type stuff but no trons or synths which does date it somewhat in a good way (for me)

I would say Vincent Crane is much underrated.

Hi Mike, DWBY is their second album. Their first included Carl Palmer on drums.

There's a version of AT still active.

I have a decent compilation called 'Heavy Soul' on CD. Back in the 70's I did buy the 45rpm of 'Devil's Answer'. Sounds even better these days with a Koetsu cartridge. :)

I've always had a soft spot for the 1980 EMI 'reformation' album. It's a lot 'spikier' than earlier albums - John DuCann is back from impersonating Gary Numan and writing songs influenced by a bit of punk, new wave and NWOBHM.

Live, they were f**king loud.

Also, the set they did for Belgian TV around the time of the "In Hearing of" album is a belter (my first intro to them).

Although by then DuCann had left, to be replaced by Boltz Bolton, and had Chris Farlow on vocals, who can bit 'marmite'.

Nice to see Ric Parnell before he joined Spinal Tap.

advertisement

Back