advertisement

Atoll CD players?

GF670

pfm Member
I've just watched a video review of the Atoll CD100 by Cheshire Audio on YouTube, and it looks like a nice CD player (as do the other Atoll models, including the smaller MD100). However I can't see much else by way of reviews etc anywhere online, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences of them?

I've been of buying a CD player for some time now, and the Denon DCD1700NE is at the top of my list, but an Atoll could potentially be an interesting option.

I have the Denon DCD1600NE and it’s a capable CD player. Nonetheless, I bought it for SACD and if you’re not going to play those I suspect the Atoll might be a better bet. Alternatively, if you already have a dac you like, consider a dedicated transport.

Thanks. Yes, I would only be using it for CDs (as opposed to SACDs). I don’t have a DAC and am keen to have one integrated box - both from a space perspective and also avoiding having to decide on two purchases rather than just the one!

I hadn’t come across Atoll before today and they do look interesting, though there’s very little information I can find about them. Mind you, that seems to be the case with a lot of CD players - I guess they are fairly niche products these days!

I looked at Atoll a few years ago, and found quite a few reviews online, but mostly not in English. There was a review in Hifi Critic a while back, which I may still have. PM me if interested.

Thanks. Yes, I would only be using it for CDs (as opposed to SACDs). I don’t have a DAC and am keen to have one integrated box - both from a space perspective and also avoiding having to decide on two purchases rather than just the one!

I hadn’t come across Atoll before today and they do look interesting, though there’s very little information I can find about them. Mind you, that seems to be the case with a lot of CD players - I guess they are fairly niche products these days!

He seems to like them and his customers seem to prefer it to Rega often enough to keep him interested. I'd be concerned about long term support. I you have the budget the Audio Note Zero is smashing. There's a higher spec one in the classifieds even...

Forget about reviews, you really have to hear it for yourself. I once listened to Atoll amp-CD combo, and I will only say that it sounded "different". No idea, if it was the amp or CD that was "responsible".

He seems to like them and his customers seem to prefer it to Rega often enough to keep him interested. I'd be concerned about long term support. I you have the budget the Audio Note Zero is smashing. There's a higher spec one in the classifieds even...

Thanks yes agree about support. I hadn't thought really considered the Audio Note Zero - looks like a potentially good option. The 2.1 in the classifieds does look nice, but I think I would prefer to buy new if spending more than a few hundred pounds. I'm getting quite frustrated at myself for taking such a long time to decide on a CD player - nothing seems to quite tick all the boxes somehow.

I’ve not heard one but the Roksan Blak has had good reviews.
Exposure are expected to launch their full width cd player, it was at the Bristol Hifi show.

Thanks yes agree about support. I hadn't thought really considered the Audio Note Zero - looks like a potentially good option. The 2.1 in the classifieds does look nice, but I think I would prefer to buy new if spending more than a few hundred pounds. I'm getting quite frustrated at myself for taking such a long time to decide on a CD player - nothing seems to quite tick all the boxes somehow.
I know what you mean I am in the same boat. The Atoll dealer network in the UK is expanding and Atoll have responded to my email questions. I always think AN CD players to be a bit heath robinson and expensive. I must get my arse into gear and do a home trial of the Atoll CD. The Atoll Amps are very good.

Here's mine in the rack, it's not Heath Robinson at all. I picked it up through the classifieds here a few weeks ago. I have a recent Cambridge CXC for sale if you're interested ;)

mmm not sure on that and they don't publish prices on their kit which comes across as pretentious in a, "if you have to ask you can't afford it", way. And it has a valve!

mmm not sure on that and they don't publish prices on their kit which comes across as pretentious in a, "if you have to ask you can't afford it", way. And it has a valve!
It's just the usual thing of go to the dealer and here they are, I think.

Now i am sure atoll make superb cd players . some points i think

pro
2] it does have 3 pins on mains

con

1] no one has heard of them in wider circles so hard to sell when you upgrade
2] the atoll looks cheap especially the back , it looks like a 400 pound cd player !!!
3] EVERYBODY knows denon, there are umpteen reviews
4 ] their remotes are superb and hard wearing [ i have had denon products for many years ]
5] the denon just looks more classy

sorry to be a wet blanket but atoll would NOT persuade me to buy that player !!!

Some very convincing arguments there! I suppose another positive for the Denon is that some say they work very well as transports in their own right (even in comparison to dedicated transports by Audiolab etc) so could be used with an external DAC for a change in sound?

If they managed their kit to look as nice made outside as it does inside, their amps really seem to be well build, aesthetics are not French strongest.

I use my 1600NE as a dedicated SACD player and as a CD transport to a separate dac. It is excellent for both and slightly less good as a dedicated CD player.

Now i am sure atoll make superb cd players . some points i think

pro
2] it does have 3 pins on mains

con

1] no one has heard of them in wider circles so hard to sell when you upgrade
2] the atoll looks cheap especially the back , it looks like a 400 pound cd player !!!
3] EVERYBODY knows denon, there are umpteen reviews
4 ] their remotes are superb and hard wearing [ i have had denon products for many years ]
5] the denon just looks more classy

sorry to be a wet blanket but atoll would NOT persuade me to buy that player !!!
In the flesh the Atoll looks far from cheap. I think they share the back panel with several models but it is well put together. I would take it over a Denon any day

thats good to know . i confess i am just going from the pics on the web . any reason you prefer to denon?

+1 for Marantz/Denon , Rotel CD player /Dac/Roon

Rotel DT-6000/RA-6000 CD Player/Amplifier | Hi-Fi News (hifinews.com)

blob

advertisement

Back