advertisement

ATC speakers

nbaptista

pfm Member
I wonder if an ATC SCM 7 would be a good match for my Densen B 110 amplifier...I heard last month a B&W CM 1 and they do a very good soundstage,but not so good on PRAT!I wonder if ATC is more neutral or versatil?I mean,does a good soundstage and beeing ok on Prat,too!Sorry for my questions,but I´d never had the chance to hear ATC,I know them are fine speakers only

Prat & Soundstage usually not a matching factor - choose one or choose another however some compromises may suit.

ATC anyday over The B&W but SCM7 need juice

Prat & Soundstage usually not a matching factor - choose one or choose another

So they say, but since both are intangible and subjective, I've always thought this particular pearl of hi-fi wisdom is complete nonsense. It does beg the question: why?

It's quite simple, Bub. The loudspeakers traditionally favoured for pratiness are mostly designed to work close to walls, which tend to collapse any soundstaginess you might otherwise get. Those who hold this view might not be aware of the brave new world.

James

It does sound very much like a flat earth tenet: my favourite brand does very good boogie, the journalists call it PRaT, but the soundstage is nonexistent, I don't want anyone thinking they could have both so bingo, a myth is born.

By what physical means would a hifi not produce a soundstage (by which I understand stereo) while maintaining PRat (by which I mean edge-of-the-seat excitement).?

close your eyes when looking towards the speakers (or sit in the pitch black) and soon you will forget if they are near the wall or a bit further out!!!

OK.

For example: ATC loudspeakers (and Quad ESLs, and undoubtedly others) don't cock up the timing, and have a good soundstage. Linn Isobariks have no soundstage, sound slow and plodding, and are tonally inaccurate.

close your eyes when looking towards the speakers (or sit in the pitch black) and soon you will forget if they are near the wall or a bit further out!!!
It depends if you care about soundstaginess or not. The wall-of-sound effect is quite obvious - and disturbing - to me.

James

It depends if you care about soundstaginess or not. The wall-of-sound effect is quite obvious - and disturbing - to me.

James
if a recording has an apparent (albeit probably artificial) soundstage and I can't hear it, qed the playback system is faulty. If it has boogie and I don't get the boogie from the playback system then the system is faulty. Same for timbre, deep frequencies, natural sounding cymbal crashes, vocals, piano, drum impact, etc, etc, etc. :)

I ran the original SCM7s with a Densen B100. Sounded ace but not really enough grip at higher volumes.

Linn Isobariks have no soundstage, sound slow and plodding, .

Not in the real world, Bub.

if a recording has an apparent (albeit probably artificial) soundstage and I can't hear it, qed the playback system is faulty. If it has boogie and I don't get the boogie from the playback system then the system is faulty. Same for timbre, deep frequencies, natural sounding cymbal crashes, vocals, piano, drum impact, etc, etc, etc. :)
The question remains, how do you really know what was there in the first place.

James

Prat & Soundstage usually not a matching factor - choose one or choose another however some compromises may suit.
I have only heard 100 ASL's and I'm telling you they have a great soundstage. If you close your eyes, they aren't there. Fantastic separation and depth & air. If a large ATC can do this I would expect a small one to do it too. Perhaps better.
To do this they need some space and they need to be away from the rear walls but they are not incredibly fussy about positioning.

The question remains, how do you really know what was there in the first place.

James
Quite. But if it's there, and the playback system can't show you then it's faulty (though may be entertaining nevertheless).

Sorry, complete tosh.

My current system, and many (if not all) of my previous ones, have all the PRAT (a particularly ridiculous acronym), and whatever other terms that are bandied around places such as this, complete with soundstage etc.

I have a hifi system, which reproduces music. How well you engage with the reproduced music is perhaps a more important indicator of your system's ability than judging it by received wisdom, particularly if you are so swayed by this wisdom that you never try a particular mix of components.

Ah, I feel better for that :p

of course the Prat depends of your source and amplifier.but I heard the B&W and despite the good soundstage,it cock up a bit the Prat

Pr&t versus soundstage is indeed a false compromise. My experience tells me that if you upgrade your system to improve its ability to capture musical timing the soundstage and image will also improve. I've noticed this in particular with source, preamp, PSU, cabling and support upgrades.

The only time this does not occur and there is therefore some kind of trade-off is either when in an attempt to increase the size of the soundstage the phase has somehow been manipulated or, conversely if manipulation that over-emphasises the leading edge occurs and/or the bandwidth has been deliberately limited.

If you improve your system's overall coherence both soundstaging/imaging and musical timing should improve.

The only time this does not occur and there is therefore some kind of trade-off is either when in an attempt to increase the size of the soundstage the phase has somehow been manipulated or, conversely if manipulation that over-emphasises the leading edge occurs and/or the bandwidth has been deliberately limited.
Well,I don´t have those skills,so I´m asking some kind of help
It appears to me that the B&W CM 1 were not so good on prat,but I might be wrong.I didn´t test it with my amp,the amp was a Rotel 05 SE

advertisement

Back