advertisement

ATC Speakers

acinder

pfm Member
This is a long shot.
Im wondering if there are any PFM members in Northern Ireland who are using any of ATC standmount speakers such as the 7s or 11s who wouldn't mind me coming to hear them.
Unfortunately there are no HI Fi dealers here that sell them so I can't audition them.
Ive been through several speakers incl Spender,Neat,Kudos,Focal,Rega & currently have a pair of Proac 1Scs which I do like & will be keeping.
My current system is Rega Saturn CD player, Naim Supernait 1 amp & Audiolab PN 6000 streamer.
Any views on how ATCs would sound with my current set up would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Acinder,

I had ATC scm11s with a Rega Apollo now Saturn playing through a Nait XS2 and they were marvellous. Fast dynamic tight and punchy with a great midrange. Not fussy about placement and best with some volume on them. Really regret selling them actually and were replaced by Proac DT8s: great but too much base for my room.
Now trying Alchris Audio AR-4s which are great value and you can audition in Northern Ireland! Only just got them but mightily impressed so far and Alan who makes them is total star.

There is a great review in HiFi Critic of the ATC Scm11s which is very complimentary and they measure excellently. Curiously better if ambient temperature is over 19C!

Hope this helps.
Tony

I use 11’s with sn3 in 4x 5m room and they are brilliant. Tight bass down to 40hz and the atc tweeter is faultless. Highly recommend which is why this is my third pair.,,,

I don’t see any reason ATC SCM-7’s wouldn’t work well with your system. I guess you would need to try them to see if you like them. I have three pairs and like them a lot.

@acinder, not to be a buttinsky, your Naim will probably be great with the ATC. I have the SCM19 v2 but do remember they like watts but everything @Doyard says about the 11s is true for the 19s except that they do play extremely well at moderate volumes. I will add that this is a speaker you could purchase sight unseen and be totally impressed and happy with if any of that helps.

I had a pair of SCM7s and used them with a Sugden A21 and CDs and a Logitech Touch as a second system. Superb. You really can just listen to music with ATCs.

ATC speakers should work but I found the range of the SCM7 (admittedly old version) a bit limiting. SCM11s would be better

Thanks to all who have responded.
I will endeavour to try & get to hear a pair asap before I take the plunge.
I forgot to say that I also have a Ref T5x subwoofer in alongside the Proacs & given that a pair of ATC 7s should be good.

If you’ve room for them a pair of B&W 603s will be easier to drive, clearer, rhythmically more coherent, go much louder, go much lower whilst being tighter, be infinitely more tuneful, be aesthetically better looking and a better match for your existing system.

Had the 11s and 19s on home demo before, and both are right up there. Often I wonder why I don't own a pair.

They excel at tightness of bass / mid-bass, along with strong timing and overall cohesiveness. Highs are detailed, but slightly explicit and unforgiving at times, even if they are generally neutral and smooth. A lot of that comes down to the recording though, so they don’t always make listening enjoyable. But get a good recording, or something with a bit of rhythm and drive behind it, and they sound incredible.

There’s lots of detail – no more than many other speakers, but it tends to be dissected a little more obviously and cleanly.

Their ease of placement is another big plus – not something to be dismissed when considering typical domestic situations.

They can both be a little thin sounding in the mids, again, depending on the recording more than anything. But there's not that slight romantic, euphonic edge that BBC speakers give. On the other hand, their mids can be glorious, particularly with acoustic instruments.

In an average sized room, the 11s will fill the room with ease, but the 19s definitely take it up a notch in terms of bass weight and dynamic headroom. They sound a bit fuller and more dynamic overall, although it's not a huge difference. I could happily live with either I think.

As is usual we can only give our opinions based on our own experience and set of values.

Id just recommend getting a good demonstration first and if you can get an opportunity to listen to the 603s I think theyre excellent VFM.

Enjoyed my ATC SCM11's (MK 2 with the curved cabinets) but they came into their own when driven by a powerful amp. Unfortunately that meant that they sounded good at volumes higher than my ears liked! If you've got the space in front of them (not behind, as they're not too fussy about placement, and can work close to rear walls)
Then they are brilliant. I noticed a real solidity to the lower mid range, good imagery, and they were great with vocals and percussion, which was detailed but not too bright. A very engaging speaker, but also experiment with stands, which make a difference.

I live in Ni too, you should just pull the trigger…….I have many times on distributor-less items. Some have worked out and some, not so. But. Because there’s no distributor it’s really easy to sell on, if not to your tastes…..

Bearing in mind that the same speakers will sound different in different rooms and systems etc, I got fed up with my SCM7s as they didn't boogie unless you turned the volume up. Almost binary: boring at quiet volume then brilliant at loud volume. If playing loud isn't an issue then they might work fine for you. But you'll never know unless you try them in your room on the end of your system.

advertisement

Back